I am Changing from Lump Back to Kingsford

I just found some Kingsford lump up here in Maryland at a Giants food store. It's a heck of lot cheaper than some of the lump I've found in specialty stores around here. I didn't even know Kingsford made lump.

I am back to Kingsford too... again! I went through a switch to RO lump last summer and wound up coming back to K. What I find is the same thing I found last year, that is, lump burns hotter which means it burns up faster which means shorter total cook times. This is not good since I do a lot of long cooks. Also, I have to play too many games to get a good smoke ring with lump... make sure the meat come right out of the fridge, make sure the smoker is not up to temp, yada, yada, yada! I don't have to go through all that with K, so, I am back to the briquettes for smoking. Although, I do like RO lump for grilling and I use it for that regularly.

Tony

Tony,

RO is not a long burning lump. I would get about 10 hours out of a full ring.

I get 20+ hours out of better quality brands. You should try another brand before giving up on lump. IMO, it's far superior to charcoal for many reasons.

PS- I'm not too sure that lump is the cause of your smaller smoke rings.

I'm a huge Royal Oak lump fan. The garden center at WalMart never lets me down
icon_smile.gif

As for burn times - I don't have any trouble going 20 hours with it at 235 degrees. I have a temperature controller, so that may help.

I use Kingsford when I run out of lump and only have access to the grocery store. My only complaint with it is the amount of ash it produces. It's astounding compared to what the lump leaves behind.

I still haven't smoked with lump. I have only grilled with it once, when I brought the brinkmann POS smoker rigged with a yard sale rotisserie to a friend's house and he cooks with the lump. I didn't realize how hot it got, and almost ruined a very nice rib roast. I bet the extra heat would be great for steaks, but I've also rehearsed my routine to the point that I can eyeball my most common cuts and factor in whether it had full time to warm up to room temp, and can nail the time per side. It's been a while since I had to poke a steak twice.

I was at Sutter Home and Hearth picking up a new charcoal grill for the bullet a few years ago, and the guy gave me a hard sell on lump. But I wasn't going to switch right before my big party, when I'd be running two bullets side by side.

That's what it comes down to, I have my systems that I spent 20 years refining, so why fix what ain't broke. I concede that I may find benefit from grilling with lump, but cash and carry has a great price on kningsford bundles, and they don't sell hardwood. From what I've read on here, I don't think I'll see any benefit in the smoker.

Pretty much use Kingsford with chunks for flavor. My market area is not so good for lump. I'm not going to pay speciality store prices for lump that cost more than the meat I'm smoking. Not to impressed with Cowboy brand that is available on a regular basis. Have access to Big Green Egg, but its at the speciality store. And I get tired of Wally World having RO one week and not the next and none in the winter months. Wouldn't mind trying lump if I could find it on a consistent basis with out having to go all over town with the cost of gas and such. Just my .02.

I've switched to the "K" also!!! I stared with RO lump in my WSM but I alwya had trouble keeping temps down...even with water...With the "K" I can control my temps alot better..

Ron

Back