Hurricane Smoke...

Dave Cohen

I'm a newly registered participant here, though I have been browsing for over a year now, since I've had my WSM. I would like to thank Chris for making this terrific resource available to me, and thanks to all of you for your expertise. It is much apreciated by a novice like me.

Hurricane Hanna is blowing thru Northern Virginia where I live as I write this. I guess I could have picked a better day to smoke a brisket and three racks of baby backs, but it was planned for a couple of weeks and I decided to just go for it.

The brisket flat ( 9 lbs) went on at 8:00 am, before it really started raining hard. I think this may have been the wrong time to initiate my new brinkman charcoal pan, as it took over an hour to get up to 250 degrees. The ribs went on to the lower rack at 1:00 pm. This was quite an undertaking with my daughter and friend holding umbrellas while I dissassembled the smoker to put the ribs onto the lower rack and then quickly re-assembled.

I clamped a five foot umbrella over the cooker which is keeping most of the rain away, but the winds are starting to kick up now. Company is coming over a 5 o'clock. Hopefully there will be food done not too much later.

thanks again to all of you for your collected wisdome.

Dave Cohen

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your cook. I'm hoping your umbrella is secured to something other than your cooker.

Thanks Tom,
The umbrella is clamped to my deck railing, not the smoker.
Boy is this sucker going thru charcoal! This is the first time I've done a cook on other than a hot summer day. Now I've got to figure out how to add charcoal without it getting wet on the trip from the bag to the access door. I quess I will need my assistant again.
The center of the storm is now moving over Virginia, and moving pretty fast. I am out west enough that I am only getting the rain and a few gusts of wind. Nothing like what they're getting on the coast.
I hope that more charcoal will get my temps back up to 250. Right now they're at approx. 215.

Back