Humidity/Minon Method ??

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
I want to cook a Brisket this weekend. It will be showers and High humidty. The showers don't bother me because I have the oooker in the garage near the open garage door.

Will the humidty affect the temps/minion method or the lenght of the cook ? Any info appreciated. Thanks

John - I haven't had rain/humidity affect length of the cook when using the WSM protected. I cook under a screened in porch. Minion or other method. I typically use lump charcoal, not Kingsford type fuel/briquettes.

Wind can affect it (burn time of fuel, fire control), but typically not as much when WSM is protected from the elements. At least in my experience.

Hi Ray

The humidity is my main concern. I usually haven't cooked with higher humidity conditions but looks like I will this weekend. Thanks

I've not had a problem with humidity or rain when using the wsm in a shelter. It might take a bit more time to come up to temp and/or vents opened more to keep it at temp, but that would be from the cooler ambient temps and wind, if there is any. I've never had any issue with the charcoal lighting/burning.
Todd

Todd Thanks

I can proect against the winds somewhat. Outside temps should't be an issue. Only a little humidity, which I probably should't worry about.

Go Bills (3-0) ???

Bill

You know I kinda thought about that after posting. you Cookers closer to the oas surley have more Humidity that the rest of us.

As usual I'm over analyzing my Brisket cook.

Thanks

Humidity would only concern me if it was prolonged and my charcoal was being stored in that environment. Even then I would just start with a few more lit coals to make sure the temps came up as quick as I would want.

As for the Bills... what the hell.... of all the years to let go of my season's tickets!! haha Mind you every game this year has seemed like you get crummy weather (not like that's new). I don't miss trying to tailgate in driving rain or freezing 30 mph winds. I swear when we crossed the border it just felt like there was a constant cloud over the city.

Here in NYC, we`re expecting steady rain for a good 24 hours... right in the middle of my pork shoulder smoke... argh... However, after this smoke out in the steady rain, I will better equipped to answer your questions. Stay tuned.

Ernest,
Have something to keep the rain off the wsm. Big patio umbrella, or something, otherwise your charcoal bowl will fill with water from it entering at the lid and running down the inside of the smoker.
Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd Randall:
I wouldn't worry about it.

No kidding about them bills, first 3-0 start since the heydays in the early 90's. Scary.

Todd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta LOVE them Bills: But I try not to get too excited till week 12 or 13

I had to put my smoke on hold... my umbrella is not going to hold up in these conditions. I may give it another go tonight but right now, it sounds like the weather is going to be really bad... lots of rain. I usually don`t mind but I am trying to smoke some brisket and pork shoulder for tomorrows family gathering. argh...

Just finished eating, what was to be Brisket midnight cook, but turned out to be Smoked oven finished.

It came out good, put on the WSM @ 4 AM rainy/foggy 60 degrees. Had the WSM in the garage just inside one of the Car garage doors, both were open of course.

Humidity didn't seem to affect the Minion Method start, used 25 lit briquettes, on top of 3/4 ring of unlit. With 2 gallon H2O pan with hot water, plus 9.4 lb brisket, took about 25-30 minutes to get up to 250 lid temp. After initial vent adjustment went for 6 hrs @ 250, then had to shake the charcoal grate a little, rest cook cook went fine. No fear of humidity, rain a differnt story if you don't have a shelter for your smoker. Happy smoking !!!

Just checked weather.com for my area... looks like a clear night ahead with no rain but humidity is still 93% so thats pretty high to post back my results here when I`m done. I`ll post tomorrow. Wish me luck. Every time I do an overnighter, my WSM temp drops staggeringly low. I`m starting my pork shoulder smoke around 10p this evening.

Ernest

As I indicated I started out with 25 lit briquettes, once temp got to about 225, I backed the lower vents down to a little less than 50% open, temp went to 260 for a short time then down to 250 and stayed there for 6 hrs. At the 6 hour mark 10AM in my case temp was still 245 ish. I couldn't believe how stable the temp were.

In the past I've been a little to anxious and put the lit charcoal on top of the unlit before the lit was completly lit, I have to watch that.

Good luck.

Gee- Here in Ga. humidity is almost always present- it's just basically moisture in the air- makes it feel tropical at times-hot/steamy then when in 40's cold and damp- pennetrating! I've never found humidity to be a sigificant factor- only the wind. The wsm should still cook the same although you may need to tinker with the vents somewhat but probably not too much.

Back