Huge Rack

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am planning on trying my first attempt at the BRITU Rib recipe, found on this website, on Saturday.

Well I went to my wonderful meat market today to get 2 lbs or less per rack of baby backs and he was cutting fresh slabs in the back. I told him I wanted four 2 lb slabs. He came back with a 7lb slab and he cut a pound off of another slab and said that was the best he could do. So now I need to obviously adjust my cook time accordingly but being that this is my third time using my bullet I'm really not sure how much longer this huge rack is going to take.

So I am asking for help from the professionals to help me to time my dinner correctly. Dinnertime is scheduled for 4:30-5:00. Forcast is clear skies & 80*.

Cut the 7 pounder. I usually do 3-3.5 pounders--they take about 6 hours plus I rest an hour or more after I pull. You could cut the big one in half or thirds.

Thanks for the replys.

I asked him about cutting them but he warned that they might turn out dry.

I thought it would be okay to cut them at least in half, thank you for the confirmation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff/Pilgrim:
He came back with a 7lb slab and he cut a pound off of another slab and said that was the best he could do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that huge for a pork rib rack?? Could they be beef?

Mike

They sound like untrimmed spares. That is the way they are sold in the local grocery store here. I trim 'em up St. Louis style and put the trimmings on the bottom rack. Once you trim them you will have a much smaller and more managable rack of ribs to deal with. Also don't forget to remove the skin from the ribs prior to cooking!

Do you have more than one meat market? I think I would be looking. You wanted b,b's. Now you have a mess you have to find a way to deal with. Well , next time you will know what to do with it, and you might like this better. Have fun and enjoy!

Rick

Heck, I saw the topic to this thread and expected to see some nice pictures of either a trophy buck or Anna Nicole.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I ended up cutting the 7lber in half and cooked them for about 7 hrs.

Our guests thought it was awesome but I knew there was room for improvement. I will not make the same mistake twice. Next time I will make sure I trim them better and possibly leave the rub on longer prior to cooking as they didn't have that crust with a kick that I like.

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back