Howdy from Montana!

Chris AD

Hello everyone! My name is Chris, 33 years old, and I live in north central Montana. Not a big smoking community where I live, so I do most of my learning online. This website has been incredible while doing research.

I started smoking about five years ago with a Char-Broil grill and a smoke box. A few years ago I "moved up" to a Brinkmann Smoke 'N Grill that I modified pretty heavily and made some decent BBQ with. I made chicken, ribs, brisket, and of course, pork butt on it and it's all turned out pretty good.

After winning some money on the poker machine the other day, and just sitting through a slug fest with my ECB and two briskets, I figured it's time to get a proper smoker. I've been wrestling with the idea of an electric, or a UDS, or a WSM. Today I made my final decision and will be ordering my WSM through Amazon (through clicking the link on this page) for a 18.5" WSM. Today I also ordered up a Auber ATC with the 6.5 CFM fan. I've cut my teeth on that Brinkmann, it's time to start enjoying BBQ'ing. ;)

I've been doing a lot of reading through the forums over the years, trying to find cooking methods I could apply to my ECB, some worked, most didn't. I'm REALLY excited to have a good smoker, I really enjoy the food, but haven't enjoyed the process much over the years. I'm hoping the WSM and a ATC combined with it will really help me enjoy the entire experience, and produce even better food!

Anyway, I hope you don't mind me pestering you with questions over the next few months/years. I hope I can contribute back in some way. Can't wait to get started!

Welcome aboard! This is a great site with a helpful group of people that will answer any questions you might have.

Another fellow Montanan! I'm from Missoula (no I'm not a hippie). Happy smoking to you!

Very cool, Missoula is a great city, love to visit when I can. I'm from Havre and would love to find some people around here that not just use a WSM, but even just smoke. I don't know anybody that does but my brother and he uses a Traeger (so that doesn't count).

Very cool, Missoula is a great city, love to visit when I can. I'm from Havre and would love to find some people around here that not just use a WSM, but even just smoke. I don't know anybody that does but my brother and he uses a Traeger (so that doesn't count).

Agreed, Traegers are cheating!

Back