How to smoke salsa?

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
I can make some pretty good home made salsa. We always just boil the ingredients, then throw in a blender....add some salt and other spices and let it cool.

Do you guys ever smoke the tomatoes, jalapenos, etc... and then mix in a blender?

Care to share any recipes for smoked salsa?

I've done a fire roasted salsa before and it comes out pretty good. My salsa is a mix of canned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes, onions, and peppers. For the fire roasted edition I will grill/smoke all the fresh veggies. I cut the onions and tomatoes in 4ths and the peppers in half before putting them on the grill. Once they are ready I toss them I'm the blender with the canned tomatoes and spices and pulse blend it all together leaving just a bit of chunk. Oh, and I normally squeeze fresh lime juice in the salsa, so for the roasted version I also cut up the limes and grill/smoke those too before squeezing the juice in the blender. Don't know how much of a difference it makes to smoke the limes too, but I do it anyway. Lol

My salsa recipe

Can of Rotel
Can of diced tomatoes
4 Roma tomatoes
2 small or 1 large sweet onions
About a quarter bunch of fresh cilantro, with stems cut off
4 jalapenos (or really any fresh pepper you want to use)
Juice of 1 lime, squeezed
Spice rub, to taste*
Salt, to taste.

Pulse all ingredients in blender until desired consistency.

*Spice rub:

Black Pepper 2 parts
Salt 1 part
Cayenne Pepper 1 part
Chili Powder 2 parts
Garlic Powder 2 parts
Onion Powder 2 parts
Paprika 2 parts
Cumin 2 parts
1/2 part Tony's (optional)

Smoked or not, that salsa recipe is always a huge winner

Last edited:
Sounds like a great recipe! My wife probably wouldn't want the canned portions, but I'll definitely give this a try and double up on the fresh tomatoes

Trying to get an idea of how long to smoke the veggies. Do you just go until they start to get a little mushy? Do that take a couple hours?

I'm going to try it next weekend, but wanted a ballpark idea so I know how closely I should watch them

Sounds like a great recipe! My wife probably wouldn't want the canned portions, but I'll definitely give this a try and double up on the fresh tomatoes

Trying to get an idea of how long to smoke the veggies. Do you just go until they start to get a little mushy? Do that take a couple hours?

I'm going to try it next weekend, but wanted a ballpark idea so I know how closely I should watch them

Well since I use canned tomatoes, I like my fresh ones to be solid enough that they stay a little v chunky when blended, so I did mine just long enough to get a little color and smoke but not get mushy.

Never tried smoking the veggies for salsa. We just roast them on the grill.

We do smoke jalapeños for chipotle and poblanos for ancho but I don't use those in salsa.

I tried fire roasted tomatoes in salsa before and didn't care for the taste. I prefer fresh not cooked at all.:)
I guess like pico de gallo.
Tim

Back