How to set up a Weber Kettle for high heat searing.

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
I have found a way to set up a Weber Kettle to get a good high heat searing on my steaks.
Basically what needs to be done is elevate the hot coals right up under the cooking grate.

This requires 2 charcoal grates and a set of charcoal rails. Clip the rails onto the lower grate. Then just set the second charcoal grate on top of the rails. It should be set up like this.

Here is a shot of the actual fire burning. It is a bit hard to see but all 3 grates are visible.

IMG_0142rs.jpg

Interesting.

I have the CI grates and just use full chimney of lit and and a few handfuls of unlit. Leave the lid off and let it take over. I pour all of this on one removable 1/4 of the grate and go, go, go.

Leaving 1/4 of the grill HOT and 3/4 of grill for some indirect.

Derek, yes if you pile the coals high enough you get the same effect. By doing it the way I outlined above I use less than half a chimney of charcoal. This still provides enough heat to do some veggies indirect.

BTW, The CI pictured above is a Weber so it is in the middle, not the best set up.

if i really need high heat for just a few things i just load up my sj with lump. but i sure like yer idea if other stuff needs cooking indirect at the same time.

I generally just dump 1/2 to 3/4 of a chimney on the charcoal grate bewtween the charcoal rails. This gives about a 3 layer fire, with plenty of heat to really sear a steak or chop. If i need more than that, I grill directly on the chimney.

FYI, this is/was Weber's recommended way when they sold the grill grate with the CI insert.

What I am doing now is putting two firebricks under the Weber charcoal baskets that came with my grill. This bumps the baskets up a couple inches close to the grate. The baskets also concentrate the heat.

I am seriously considering buying a scond charcoal grate to create an elevated charcoal basket. I have seen a few designs on this and other boards, and am currently scoping my design...

Back