How to remove wheels....technique?

The whitewall ring is held in with plastic studs. To remove gently tap out the studs from the inside of the wheel with a block of wood or the head of a bolt.

They snap. Yes, they break, depending on how long they have been in direct sunlight. Over time all plastics lose the plasticizer and become brittle. I have some that have broken just moving the grill around.

Last edited:
Question: Does the Whitewall on the wheels just snap off or is it glued? Do they usually break when you take them off?
I found them surprisingly durable, but I’d still be careful.

They pop off. They are attached at four points to the wheel. I used a dowel to press the back of each point until it popped out the front. Then used a flathead to leverage it out the rest of the way.

Does anyone know where we can purchase just the white wheel rings? Most all wheels can be cleaned up but I have many white rings that are toast. On my last flipper I just removed the ring and left the all black wheel.

All of this 3D printing you would think they would be everywhere......but I guess its a trademark issue huh

Last I looked there's a model on Thingiverse if you have a 3D printer.

Now I am going to be addicted to that website......I am not tech savy so I didnt really see how to purchase from that guy.....Is he selling or just giving you the magic potion for 3D printing one? I know people that have the printers

Jim, you crack me up! It's good to see you back in action, my friend. Take care of that arm, please!

It's free, although if you want to tip the guy I'm sure he wouldn't mind. It's an STL file, a 3D model that you bring into a slicer (also free) that separates the file into layers and spits out a gcode file, which are movement and other instructions for the 3D printer. Your friends should know what to do with the file.

EDIT: Windows 10 has some free 3D tools if you want to see and play with the file...

I seem to remember a thread somewhere on here (maybe in the coal burner section) of someone making them on a 3D printer.

Bruce, there was/is a guy selling them on the Weber Kettle Club forum, and his info was published here recently. I'll see if I can find the thread...I think he's in Canada and they were $15/ pr...

Well, that was easy...

Thanks for your support Ed!!! Your not gunna be pleased with me though :( I re ruptured my distel sp? bicep tendon yawning of all things. Yep.....I was 2 weeks into recovery and doing great and 2 days a go I was waking up in a fog like state and did a massive yawn and stretch.....the kind where you yawn and stretch your arms out and they even shake because its such a powerful yawn............you know the kind right? Well I stretched my surgically repaired arm out and BAM!!!!! OUCH!!!! Back to the starting line :( That said I have full use of the arm...just no lifting...especially now......but I was out there painting a frame tonight and cutting a new axel.......so there are things I can get done with 1 1/2 arms

I sent the wheel ring info to a friend of mine that is a super genius......he has all of those toys that fabricate things from smoke and mirrors......I am sure he can make me a batch....I will let u guys know what he comes up with.

Well I only found out today from my Dr that I wasnt allowed to do ( any ) lifting. Prior to that all he told me was that I was cleared for light duty. Light duty to me means at least light lifting...example a 12pack of soda or taking out the trash in the small white trash bags........so it is possible that I had already strained the tendon......I am scheduled for an MRI to see just what my power yawn did to me.......
As for the resto work....I have my neighbor help with any lifting........yes I am stubborn and bull headed......and cant sit still.....guilty as charged :)

Back