How to paint the top of a Cook box

John Sandak

TVWBB Member
Hello Everyone,

I would like to paint the top of my cook box with either a Green or Blue for my Genesis silver C. I can't find those tops anywhere on the web. I hear that if I paint the top, it will peel like crazy cause the stock ones are porcelain. What do you guys recommend to get the color I'm looking for? What have you used in the past? What's the process, is there primer involved? whats needed, a high temp paint etc...? Please take me through your steps, if you went this route with a custom color top for your grill.

Thanks so much.
John

Last edited:
John, just keep your eyes open for a grill with the lid color you want. Then swap the lid to yours. Any Genesis three burner grill from 1985 to 2005 will fit your grill. Green around me are a dime a dozen. BLue are much harder to find. I probably rehabbed and sold 4 or 5 green heads this year already.

Painting it WILL NOT yield good results. It might look good for a month, but then it will start to chip, scratch and peel.

Agree completely with Bruce. Find the color you want in a used grill, swap lids, sell the used grill with your old lid and probably break even, or possibly net a profit.

You could also have it re-enameled, but that's expensive.

Paint is a bad idea.

Thanks for the advice guys

@Bruce if you get anymore of the green tops let me know. I would be happy to do a trade with you for a black one. I can also throw in a side burner as well to help sweeten the deal.
Keep me posted.

Thank you
John

John, the problem is shipping. Many people on this list have talked about shipping lids and it always comes down to be way to expensive.
Your best bet is to find one local.

John -- Here's a guy selling a green head near you.

If that one doesn't work, I'm sure this guy would hunt another one up for you. Looks like he's a dealer/flipper type guy. So he'd prolly take the old lid off your hands.

A Silver green lid should be quite easy to find on CL, Facebook Marketplace or Offer Up.

A big Shout out to @Jim C in Denver for the connection. Amazing, a guy across the country from me, hooked me up with a local guy on CL. I am now a proud owner of the Green Lid I was looking for today. Not bad too, I only paid $43 buxs for her. I'm very excited to have this lid, so thanks again.

@Chris Allingham thats the best part about this forum. Members helping members. Thanks for guiding us along through this journey.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 8.53.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 8.53.49 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
John. Glad that worked out.

You going to keep the wood handle? Those look nice when cleaned up, but the plastic gray is what matches the rest.

Looks like your frame has the bracket for the right side swing table? Do you have that piece? Those make for a nice grill work station in a small footprint.

Last edited:

Back