How to mount to a 22.5 WSM

Thanks to the help of those on this board, I finally got my HeaterMeter working properly. I am wondering if the community had ideas on how they hooked up their HeaterMeter's blower to their WSM 22.5. I don't want to drill any holes or cut the metal on the smoker, she's brand new! Do you have any ideas or links to any threads where people document how they did it? I really like the Roto Damper thread and would be interested in having one printed for me.

Thanks!

I think most people use the "dog dish" method, which means putting a metal bowl of some sort over one vent (similar to the can shown in the thread linked above), then connect the blower to the dog dish (or can). With this method you don't have to mod the WSM at all...

Yes! This is perfect, thank you. I'll see what I can cobble together. Do you think I should go with a Roto Damper to help with airflow while the fan is off? From what I understand, when the fan is off, it does nothing to prevent air from flowing through it. In your experiences, does that residual airflow cause problems for maintaining temperature?

Well, a bullet smoker will likely leak enough heat so it doesn't need a damper... but you are right, with the stock HM blower alone there is nothing to stop the air flow when the blower stops... So if you have trouble with overshoot then a damper will help you out...

Back