How to Mount Handles Video

I LIKE IT! I wonder if that technique would work with other meats -- or only brisket?
icon_biggrin.gif

Rich

I just added the gennie handles to my 18.5 WSM today. I finally remembered to look while at Lowes.( lucky for me, they only had 2 sets of handles left.) I wanted to add/fab a set of horizontal handles, but this was SO EASY, I couldn't pass it up. I may paint mine with some high heat gloss black to make them look a little more original and not like an add on. But IMHO, for the price, you really can't beat this simple 5 minute mod!
Tim
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Remember, Tim. If you paint them black, they are not going to reflect heat. They could get hotter than you want.

Personally, I like the contrasting look of the steel handles -- matches the legs and heat shield and vents.

Rich

Regarding painting the handles, I remember reading a post on here somewhere about dipping handles in "Plasti Dip". I saw it at my local lowes, but decided not to purchase because they only had yellow plasti dip. Plasti dip also makes a black spray on, but I've read mixed reviews. If I was going to paint it, I wouldn't hesitate to use the black plasti dip paint.

Rich, interesting about it holding heat. Never thought of that and thanks for sharing.

Anyone know if these are aluminum or galvanized?

Was thinking of adding some handles to the ranch kettle grill.

John

Originally posted by Luis L.:
Are these particular handles only for the 18"?

I'd go measure center to center on your 18 & 22 grate strapping screws and that will tell you. The handles specified in this thread fit the 18.5's.

This is very helpfull. I did it right out of the box! It is nice for long cooks when you want to jiggle the charcoal to get it hotter or add some charcoal wo ashing your grub! I do not have a deck to get grease on but be care full as I like most have had a spillage but it is rare. I also like my handles when I smoke meat and want to finish it off with direct heat. Just remove your lid, remove middle section with your nice handles and put one of the grates right on the charcoal ring! These handles are the best mod ever for this. Weber will not add them because folks would sue them if they get burned! You know how people are today! Also you do not have to have them excact handles mentioned. Just measure the distance between holes and buy what ever your home improv. store has! You have to bend them slightly to get them to fit!

I got a couple handles from Home Depot for $3 for the set. I didn't even have to adjust the size, as they came out of the package perfect. The brand is Everbilt. "Universal Lift Handle" P/N 508 991

18.5 WSM

I picked up a set of the Genie Universal handles from Lowes and the screw holes are not even close to working on the 22.5. I'm thinking they might can be "flattened out" a little to work. I haven't had a chance yet to work on them.

Clay, thanks for a clear concise video.

I picked up the Genie handles and will install them when my 18.5" WSM is delivered - maybe today but more likely Monday. :-(

I'm too old to get this excited about a wood burning stove. :) :)

I know alot of you guys love kingsford charcoal, (and I'm a WSM noob), but I use lump, which produces ALOT less ash so I haven't had a problem with needing to stir the coals or worry about lifting the middle section. Again I know you guys have been doing this alot longer, just my $.02

I figured out another advantage of the handles..... Even if you never have to lift the cooker to get to the coals, it's handy to be able to spin the cooker around over the coals. You can even out your cook a little, if necessary, without lifting the lid or messing with the meat. You can get to much more of the fire through the door. Stir the coals, give it a 90 degree spin, stir the coals.....

Originally posted by D Mullen:
I picked up a set of the Genie Universal handles from Lowes and the screw holes are not even close to working on the 22.5. I'm thinking they might can be "flattened out" a little to work. I haven't had a chance yet to work on them.

i bought my WSM 22.5 last week and picked up the handles at lowes so i could put them on while assembling...you need to stretch them a bit, but they fit good enough for me...very easy mod even for the mechanically challenged and a no-brainer for just 3.50

I did this mod from the word go. It is awesome. It is very easy to do. It is nice for when you do a long cook and want to remove the sections to stir the charcoal or add some.

Back