How to grill Steak

Greg Muller

TVWBB Member
Wife suprised me and brought Steak at the store. Having very little experience with grilling Steak and not wanting to make shoe leather again, What is a good method for grilling one inch thick top loin strip steak. Do I season them and how or do I marinate. There are six of them.
Thanks. I will be doing them on the gasser.

Greg, first question I have is:
How do you want the steak done; rare, medium rare, done, well done or sho....ok, you already said no shoe leather...
In my opinion, done and well done ARE shoe leather. Butt you're the cook and the eeter.
icon_wink.gif

Many different ways to prep the steak.
A simple light EVOO coat then salt & pepper.
That, and adding minced gaaaaalic is quite flavourful...
Some pour a few spritz' of worchestershire sauce on them...
It's all in your tastes...
I rarely marinate steak butt on occassion, i have.
Season the steaks about 15 to 30 minutes before hitting the grill.
Start a hot fire and if your hand over it burns after 2 seconds, it's ready to use.
icon_razz.gif

ALWAYS keep the lid of the grill DOWN.
I like to go 3 minutes each side for rare to medium rare steaks.
On a gasser, use only two of the three burners (if a two burner gasser, both on at medium).
You do not want to over cook the meat, so 3 minutes a side is a good starting point.
IF the beef is under cooked to your liking, simply put it back on the grill until youre happy with the additional cooking time.
REMEMBER: overcooked meat is too late to fix.... UNDER COOKED MEAT IS FIXABLE.
icon_biggrin.gif

those are just some basics.... good luck with your steaks and don't forget to kiss the cook (in this case, your wife for buying the beef!).

Let you're steaks come up to room temp by resting on the counter for a few hours.
Seasoning is whatever you like, but I like to marinate strips.

Tim

If you have Montreal Steak Spice available, sprinkle it on both sides before Grilling.

Don't forget to fry up some onions and mushrooms for on top of those bad boys when you are done.

At one inch thick, one of the challenges is getting the interior at your desired level of doneness without overcooking the outside.

I'm not sure about the few hours part to get to room temps-potential danger zone temp wise.

But maybe 1/2 to 1 hr on the counter and then a lower indirect heat at 300 or so to get the internal temps up and then finish/sear on the grill at higher heat.

Most people refer to this as a Reverse Sear. You can also use the oven for the first step.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Let you're steaks come up to room temp by resting on the counter for a few hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I go at least an hour, usually two. (It's not an issue food safety-wise. You're going to cook it. Bacteria, if any are going to be on the surface.) I sprinkle with salt, both sides, when I stick it on the counter. When ready to cook I season (usually with a rub I've made - that does not include salt as the steak is salted) then cook in a combination of direct and indirect, like this. They are never long over direct heat. I cannot stand black on steak. Caramelized nicely yes; black -any black - no.

I love Montreal steak seasoning all by itself on our steaks. Then I get. The grill HOT and get a nice sear on the steak. This that's 2-3 minutes on each side. If it is not done enough by then I shift it to the indirect heat area to finish. I often use a meat thermometer if the steak is over 1 1/4 in thick. I love a medium to medium rare so I shoot for 130 degrees.

Mike

Yea, what they said! Also when you start with a good piece of meat it is easier to finish with one! With that I mean get a steak that is well marbled! Fat is flavor! High heat is best imo for a good steak and cook it just until it is as rare as YOU like it. By that I mean if you all like it about medium to medium well, cook it only on the LOW end of that like med towards medium rare and let it sit covered for 5 or 10 minutes b4 eating and it cook a little more and be da bomb! I hope this helps ya!
icon_smile.gif

I rub steaks with seasoning and garlic salt and stick them in a ziplock bag. I then melt some butter and pour it in the ziplock bag, seal it, and let it sit on the counter for an hour or so and throw it in the fridge over night. Three or four times throughout the day I take the steaks out of the fridge and knead them on either side to work the butter and spices in. I take them out of the fridge about an hour before I am going to cook them to let the butter soak up into the meat, cook them over direct heat for three minutes a side. Finally, I let them cook over indirect heat for another three minutes, take them off the grill and let them sit for about five minutes and then EAT THEM!

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to try the reverse sear method.
Kevin-Can you suggest a saltless rub. I have rub that I use for pork but it has too much heat then I would want for a steak.

Been working lately to perfect my strip steak grilling technique. You're never going to reproduce the steak you get at, say, Peter Lugers or even Ruth's Chris, but you can come reasonably close. Providing you have access to good beef. Here in Conn, Stew Leonards sell prime strips. They are typically cut about 1.5in thick and they leave some of the fat on. Yeah, this is where the flavor is. Before the cook, I put them on the counter, covered with black pepper and smoked sea salt, for up to 2 hours. This won't get the steaks to room temp by a long shot, but gets them up to about 50°. I prefer to cook over lump charcoal, but expediency sometimes requires gas. Over a hot charcoal fire, it is on 3 minutes over the coals, rotate 90° for another 3 mins, then flip over for 3 and 3 again. Then to an indirect side of the grill to finish off until the interior temp is about 120°. Then plate, put a slab of butter on, and cover with aluminum foil for 10 minutes or so. During the 10 mins, finish up frying your twice-fried fries. At this point you've got a pretty good medium rare steak, if you started with a good piece of beef. Don't shy from a well marbled piece of beef with a layer of fat on the side. Cheers

Kevin,

I cook on a Performer, how much charcoal would you recommend using for a couple or 3 steaks? I typically use about 3/4 chimney and it seems I always overcook my steaks because it usually gets to about 450-500 in the performer.

THanks

Greg, I grill my steaks this way.

1-HOTT fire...400 degrees or more at the grate on my 22.5 inch kettle......direct heat.
2-2 standard GrillGrates (http://www.grillgrate.com/)on top of cooking grate.
3-Steaks allowed to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
4-Season with some fresh coasre ground black pepper, tad of coarse ground sea salt, and a bit of garlic salt......all patted in and applied to both sides.
5-I only get 1 inch or thicker steaks, so I grill 2.5 minutes on the GrillGrates at a 45 degree angle, then rotate 90 degrees for another 2.5 minutes. Small patties of BUTTER applied to top at the start, and the rotation.
6-Turn over, and repeat, shortening grill time to 2 minutes per rotation.
7-Foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.

Perfect medium rare/medium every time. Juicy and tender.

PS never a flare-up problem due to the use of the GrillGrates. If you like a little bit of smokey flavor, add a FEW flavored pellets into the valleys of the GrillGrates during the cooking process. I do grill with the cover on as much as possible. Also, grill downwind of any close neighbors, lest you have a surprise visit.

As for seasonings, that has to be an aquired taste, and you should never hesitate to experiment with things that you like on other beef recipes.

Also, start with a good cut of meat, it is hard to make a good steak taste bad, but it is almost impossible to make a bad steak taste good. The thinner the steak, the harder it is to get what you want taste wise, and cooked wise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulFisher:
Kevin,

I cook on a Performer, how much charcoal would you recommend using for a couple or 3 steaks? I typically use about 3/4 chimney and it seems I always overcook my steaks because it usually gets to about 450-500 in the performer.THanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I grill on a One Touch in Okla and Nev, on a Platinum (a Performer without the gas start) in Fla. I use a full chimney in all, all on one side or (most often) split on opposite sides.

As noted upthread at the links I posted, I don't go direct much. Neither do I temp the grill. I don't care what the temp is.

If you find you are often overcooking it is because you are cooking too long. You can fix this - sometimes - by simply cooking for less time. But sometimes this doesn't really do it. The steak might by somewhat more to your liking but not where you want it to be. The solution: cook thicker steaks.

I've often found that when cooks have a problem with overcooked steaks it's the thickness of the steak that is more the issue. Sometimes it's time but often it is thickness.

Also, it is important to remember that the steak will continue to cook after it is removed from the kettle so it is important to remove prior to the 'done' you seek. If, as is often the case when cooks are waiting to remove the steaks until the exterior is where they want it to be, you are removing when the exterior is right but are finding that the interior ends up being overcooked, go with thicker cuts - then remove when the interior is just shy of done.

Back