How to drop temp on 22.5 WSM...

Ok so today was a successful temp controlled cook! Although my brand new PartyQ doesn't work...

I think the trick was less lit coals, I only did maybe half a stoker of lit and filled the ring. I cut all the vents closed at 200 and it held strong at 200-205 for a good 30 minutes so I tested the waters cracking the top vent a little and two on the bottom. Got the temp to 235ish and it creeped up to 250 where I was able to maintain almost the entire cook! I think it jumped to maybe 265 at one point but I was able to choke it back down to 250. I am noticing though that the fire still doesn't appear to be going out, it's been probably 3-4 hrs with all vents closed and the WSM's still reading 250*

Makes me wish I would have tossed a butt in there and let it go, lol...

I will be cooking another rack of ribs tomorrow just to confirm. It was a windy day on top of it! So if it'll maintain in windy weather then i'm a happy guy.

Sounds like you are leaking plenty of air if you can't kill the fire. Don't expect a lot if you are trying to smoke in a wind. They do not do well in the wind.

Back