How to drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

B Krikalo

TVWBB Member
Want to add a lid thermo to my 22.5. i will most likely get a Weber one. My question is how to do it. I have never drilled anything but wood. What is the best way to do it without cracking the lid. Also, with this void the warranty. Thanks so much.

B, I have drilled new vent holes in both my 18 & 22. Drilling a therm hole should be easier since the hole is smaller. I would tape the spot where you want the hole with blue or green painters tape. Next get a small punch, hold it on the tape and gently wack it with a small hammer. Next get a small drill bit that is very sharp and drill a hole thru the lide in the spot that you dented with your punch. After you make the first small hole use the correct size drill bit to make the hole as large as the therm stem. After you are done you may have to smooth the edges on the underside a bit with course sand paper, or not.

As far as putting a Weber therm on the lid, I would think twice about that choice. I believe from my experience and others here that there are far superior therms that can be used. Search the site for therms.

Mark

Also I would add to use a drill bit that works with metal.. made of Cobalt is ideal.. drill slow and add oil to the bit if it's taking a long time.

I would try to avoid using the punch, since a hard hit could crack or splinter the porcelain. Try a step drill bit. Just go nice and easy until you get a hole started. If you have a Harbor Freight, they have them at a good price. Definitely use the painters tape. At least 2 layers. Plan out your location wisely..
Just my 2 cents.

I agree with AJ.

Double and triple up on the painters tape.

Start with a TINY, well lubed drill bit.

I tried the punch technique and couldn't make a dent without leaving chipped porcelain (BIG chips)

It's possible new grills are less prone to chipping than old. My experience is with an old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back