How to create high temps in WSM

I always MM high heat cooks. I like some time to occur before the higher heat is reached. Not a lot, just enough to help the ring and allow me to control it better. I spend little time at or near the cooker when it's cooking so control at the beginning is important to me. I hit target in 45 min to an hour, while I'm doing other things. I make any adjustments at that point, if needed, and that's it.

Kevin, at what point do you put the meat on the smoker per your previous post?

Scooter, this was a mistake I made but the airflow was clearly the problem b/c after hours, the temps never came up "Especially with briquettes, make sure you let your chimney get FULLY lit before dumping. Half lit coals spread over cold unlit charcoal is a recipe for a slow climb."

Immediately upon dumping on the lit. I never wait. A key point of a Minion start, imo, is loading the meat straight away. I use 25 or so lit (K Comp) over lump or K Comp. If using a dense lump I crack the door sooner.

David,

Living at 6200 feet, I need to get all of the coals lit and prop open the door to get up to 350 on my HH cooks. It is all about airflow.

David,
Do you have an 18 or 22 WSM? I have a 22 and have had major problems getting my heat up to and stay at 300-350. Just today I received the afterburner kit. I will post and let you know how it works.
Shipped to my door for $70.
Steve

mine is a new style 18.5, which also means turning the door upside door doesn't work.

Kevin, I suspect the lump and/or comp users are getting more heat than i am getting from blue bag kingsford. My experience, while limited, is that those two fuels burn much hotter, though I still believe i lacked sufficient airflow based on the feedback here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">is that those two fuels burn much hotter, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Only if the airflow is sufficient.

Back