How to Convert Silver to Gold...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by JohnLocher:
Do you think that this Replacement Ash Catcher could be used to convert a 22.5 Silver into a 22.5 Gold without major mods? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Yeah, you could use this. You may need to use a dremel and cut slits into your current grill to accept this. I am in the process of doing it to my redhead. I will take pics along the way. Looks pretty easy though.

John, if your Silver is of a more recent vintage, the leg sockets will have the slots that the tabs on the ash-catcher ring snap into. I retro-fitted the ash-catcher assembly onto my 2006 OTS without need for any cutting.

I cut the ash catcher tab slots into my old model SS Performer - you're right - not hard - need a Dremel tool and a couple heavy duty cutting blades, safety glasses, etc., and you're all set.

Pat

Also, Check with Weber directly instead of ebay. I ended up buying directly and it was cheaper due to their cheaper shipping. I think they charge $7 flat. You will have to lie to them and tell them you have a OTG and you broke your ash catcher. They will sell it to you. I think the bowl was $9 or something and the catcher was $15? I can't remember what they quoted me.

Good luck with your project.

Got a question for those who have done this.

I have an '03 performer I am rebuilding. Got most of the stuff replaced for free from Weber (bowl, lid, sweeper), probably getting grates for a Christmas present, so I just have to order the ash catcher.

So I have the new bowl from weber. On the legs, it seems there are holes, but they don't really look like the slots that were cut on Mac's conversion. Do the tabs fit in these holes or will a cut still be needed?

I guess I could just take it off my '10 and see if it fits.

I guess I could just take it off my '10 and see if it fits.
Josh, I'm pretty sure it will fit. I'd try it just to make sure. Don't forget to report back with your findings.

Mac,

Saturday morning I had the '10 going to get some mushrooms smoked for some dip. Had to empty the ash bucket, and peeked my head up in there to see how it was mounted. Then walked over to the Weber provided new bowl for the '04, exact same legs and slots, so it is going to fit without having to get a bracket or cut anything.

I have a red 1995 (EO) One Touch that I converted with an ash bowl/ring I bought from the same person selling it now on Ebay.... 2 of the 3 leg inserts on the grill were perfect. The third one was slightly off a couple degrees. I just bent the one tab slightly to fit in and it fits great. I'm told I was lucky because many of the pre-2000 OTS's are known to have up to all 3 leg inserts out of alingment and will require the ash catcher bar to even hold the thing in and I did it with out needing one. It only took me 10 minutes from dragging the grill from backyard to the garage to install. As illustrated in the OTS-OTG post, use of a trash bag is highly recommended. Not at all messy.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
exact same legs and slots, so it is going to fit without having to get a bracket or cut anything.
Sweet deal.
icon_cool.gif
Now all that's left to do is get some paint and polish on it. And don't forget to post some pics.

Depending on the year, you may or may not have to alter.. if its pretty recent, yeah.. the rings will fit no prob. i know that for a face. Same with the 26.

Yeah you have to tell them that you have a Gold or a MasterTouch. I believe all you need to tell Weber C/S is the date code? I went through Ebay to get mine.

I used a ring and bucket from a newer OTG and fit it onto my Master-Touch no problem. All I did was bend the little tabs on the ring that are supposed to fit into the legs 90 degrees away from the leg projections and band-clamp the tabs on the ring to the leg projections.

'91 Master-Touch

1 1/2" band clamp

Close-up of tab bent backwards. Bends easily with pliers.

I'm thinking thats what I should have done on my '95 redhead instead of manipulating the one tab to fit with the other two. I've got a feeling we're going to see alot of old OTS's become Golds in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back