How to chop "chopped beef"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
I just started seperating the point from the flat when I smoke my briskets. I've always read that the point is good for 'chopped beef' sandwiches. What is the easiest way to chop the beef? I always cut it up and it just ends up as 'small pieces of brisket' rather than 'chopped beef' like they serve at the BBQ restaurants.

When cooked tender and still hot you can pull it like a pork butt or chop it with a butchers knife.
Jim

I like to use a Chinese Cleaver to chop meat. Actually 1 in each hand works great. Helps to mix up the meat too.

So 'cook til tender', would that be like 200 degrees instead of the normal 180-185 brisket temp?

I've cooked a great deal of brisket, and after experimenting cooking to different internal temperatures I have come to the conclusion that 180-185 is a bit low for me.

For a long time I did use the 180-185 target and it's cooked and tender enough to pass, but still not quite where I want it to be.

I now go 190-195. On my last cook I did two briskets of identical weight. I pulled one off as soon as it hit 193. I left the second one on while I cut up the first and did a bunch of other things. The temp was starting to moderate in the cooker by this time anyway.

I didn't pull the second until maybe two+ hours later. It was too tender to slice and basically became chopped while trying to slice it.

The internal temp on #2 was also 193, which hadn't moved in the two+ hours it had been left on since the first one was pulled.

So, it seems to me that it's not only a specific internal temperature, but also how long it's been at that internal temperature. With the slow temperature changes in these large cuts of meat it can make a difference.

Rick
I believe you are correct, that's the reason that I will start checking a brisket for tender when it hits aprox 188?. I continue cooking till the tenderness is what I shooting for. That internal temp is normally around 190 to 200? based on the that particular brisket.
Jim

Russ, I guess what Jim and I are saying is don't get too hung up on that temperature target. It's a guide. No need to hover over the Polder and pull as soon as it clicks over to your target temp. Barbecueing has elements of both art and science. Most people learn the science part first. I'm always trying to improve my artistic side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back