How to adjust WSM Bottom Vents.

Rich Langer

TVWBB Guru
I usually start with all my vents open all the way, then as I approach 215* I completely close one and then another. At present I am at 228* with my vents 100%-25%-0% open.

Would I be doing better if all the vents were open about the same amount like 40%-40%-40% ?

Unless you are closing off the windward vent(s), I think that keeping the vents equal allows for a more even burn of your charcoal, although I know of more than one that would argue that.
icon_smile.gif

Hi Rich

I'm not sure if its right or not but i usaully end up with 2 closed and one down to 50% or less to maintain 235 or so.I've never had good luck running all vents open a certain%.
my wsm runs hotter than most for some reason.I've never been able to find an air leak anywhere but 300deg with the water pan in is attainable.

good luck on your cook
Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
I reset the vents to about 50% each - temp is 226 which is OK.

I have sand in the pan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rich,

Don't mess too much with success. We all have the urge to tweak things, but it sounds like you've got your WSM right where you want it. I sometimes scratch my head wondering how I get the WSM temperature just right. Probably dumb luck, but I don't argue with success.

Jim

The only thing I would advise is, as stated above, keep the windward vent shut. It'll stoke your fire and get the temps up considerably. I usually shut that one pre-cook, and adjust the others when I hit 200 on a MM burn.

I usually end up with just one vent open. I've never noticed any problem. I think it's one of those 'what ever works use it' things.

Well, the big man JIM MINION, posted a few years ago that he uses one vent. Don't know if that has changed. That certainly is more convenient.

Definitely close the windward vent if it is even fairly windy. I usually have to use more than one to keep my temps up and in the correct range. I don't thinks it's necessarily important to have all open a certain amount to have even air around the pit; although I once did think so.

One tip I learned on very long cooks with lots of ash buildup, is to take a stick and clear the vents some in the a.m. to be sure you're still getting air into the charcoal bowl.

Paul

Back