How to...add water...charcoal

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What is the best way to add water and charcoal in the middle of a cook? I just poured water in from the top; I splashed a little but luckily did not overfill. I added lit coals one or two at a time through the door with tongs...perhaps the reason gloves are reccomended is to lift the middle section to pour a chimneyfull right in?

Santa brought my wsm days before Christmas and he had the forethought to also include an ET-73
thermometer.

I have been pleased beyond any and all expectations-both with the smoker and thie site!

Steve

Steve
Check out this this section that Chris has put together:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tipsfaq.html

You can replace the water with sand and not have to worry about replacing the water. If you are using water a hose works fine, you will need a flashlight to get a good look at night.

I very seldom have to add coals unless there is some bad weather, mainly wind. If I do add it will be unlit on top of the burning coals unless the coal base has gotten too low then I will add burning coals. Lifting the body off I find the easiest but adding through the door may be the method for others.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the WSM and the site.
Jim

I use a plastic plant watering can-- the type without a sprinkler spout-- thru the side door. Extra coals can be tedious to add thru the door, but it is safer than the alternative of disassembling a hot cooker and risking sloshing water into the bed of coals-- very dangerous.

The plastic plant watering can is good. If you don't have one handy, in a pinch you can make a "horizontal funnel" from a large ketchup bottle by cutting a hole where the label is. Stick the neck of the bottle in through the access door, over the water pan, then pour your water through the hole you cut. (Yeah, its crude, but its effective and the price is right!) Caveat: this works fine for cool or hot tap water, but don't use it with boiling water. It won't destroy the bottle (just warps it), but you do stand a chance of burning your hand.

Similar to Larry's idea, I bought a large Rubbermaid water bottle from Target for a few bucks. It takes a couple of bottles to fill the pan all the way up, but it allows me to squirt the water out into the pan neatly, without worrying about hitting the coals.

Thanks for the input. The plastic watering can makes sense.
My first cook was a Minion method butt. 12 wonderfull hours-one or two too many hickory chunks(5). In the past two weeks we have enjoyed baby backs-all gone by breakfast the next day. Boneless leg of lamb from Costco was a hit. The last cook was a quick brisket-6 hours at 275. Meat temp 165.
For anyone considering a smoker, hit the link to amazon and order a wsm. They are every bit as good as everyone says.
Thanks again for the help.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back