how thin can you get?

James H

TVWBB Pro
All, Happy Holidays and a question.....Outside of a slicer what are the best methods to slice your meat, either cooked or uncooked, as thin as possible (recommendations for both would be appreciated)? THanks for your thoughts.

James

A mandolin might work on softer meats (baloney) but I think too much force would be needed for denser (ie brisket). Slicer is best if you're not as good a slicer as Jack da Rippa.

A slicer or very very good knife skills. However, with a lot to do, the knife will be difficult to have consistent pieces. I bought a slicer, don't really use it much, but when slicing up a large hunk, there's nothing better..........................d

I agree with a sharp knife, but the density of the meat will also have a lot to do with it. For example, an undercooked brisket will be tough and can be sliced very thin whereas an overcooked brisket will be hard to cut thick let alone thin.

James, if you can find a good quality Norton brand oil sharpening stone and spend some time practicing with it, over time you
will be able to sharpen your knives to be able to cut almost any meat well at the thickness that you want. Just takes practice and
patience. If you are thinking about mostly deli thin slices, well then you would need a good quality slicer. Often they can be found
on Craigslist mixed in with restaurant equipment.

A slicer or very very good knife skills. However, with a lot to do, the knife will be difficult to have consistent pieces. I bought a slicer, don't really use it much, but when slicing up a large hunk, there's nothing better..........................d
My thoughts exactly. Some softer meats and cheeses slice better if you par- freeze them.

Last edited:

Back