How often do you clean the exterior of your smoker?

Bob Erdman

TVWBB All-Star
If I don't clean the exterior frequently it looks a mess. Always covered when not used. Between the smoke residue and ash it's a challenge keeping the outside clean. I usually just spray with degreaser and wipe clean with a microfiber rag. I'm tempted to wash it down with a bucket of sudsy water and rinse with the hose.

I wipe mine down with a wet microfiber cloth and some spray cleaner when I vacuum out the ash and brush the grates and drip pan. After 4-5 cooks I spray some Greased Lightning around the smokestack and wipe that area. Looks like new after that. I also keep it covered and I keep pellets in the hopper for better or worse.

When “Important” guests are coming or twice a year which ever comes first. Down to four “important” guests unless one of you folks plan a visit! I really should do a bit of cleaning of all the various kettles and the WSM before I put it away this week!
(Hangs head in shame)

I just go out there occasionally with a big spray bottle of ZEP Orange cleaner or heck ammonia and a roll of paper towels. Spray them down and wipe them off. I keep pellets in as well. Told I shouldn't but I do. Always covered with good heavy cover (Big Z anyway). Member's Mark is in garage so no cover on it.
As for the other grills Wolf, Q320. I use them so rarely now. They've not needed a wipe down

I just go out there occasionally with a big spray bottle of ZEP Orange cleaner or heck ammonia and a roll of paper towels. Spray them down and wipe them off. I keep pellets in as well. Told I shouldn't but I do. Always covered with good heavy cover (Big Z anyway). Member's Mark is in garage so no cover on it.
As for the other grills Wolf, Q320. I use them so rarely now. They've not needed a wipe down
My Oakford sits down below our deck about 12' from the 10th fairway marker. I've also tried shooting some of that Zep Orange cleaner at the smokestack area...letting it sit for a minute and then spraying it from the deck with the hose...cover off obviously. It actually works OK but is the pinnacle of laziness.

The beginning of cooking season and the end of cooking season before putting it
them away and when people come over for a cook. I just use the hose and a blue scotchbrite.

For quick cleanups between deep-cleans, these Crocodile Grill Cloths work really well.
A few weeks ago, I was preparing to grill fajitas for company and had planned to deep clean my grill beforehand.
I ran out of time and instead of using the hose, Dawn, SS cleaner etc I just scraped out the inside, scrubbed the grates,
and wiped down the whole exterior with Crocodile cloths.

This was my first time to use them. I was so pleased with the results that I stepped back while cooking and snapped a pic. :D

They are a little pricey IMO, but I think one box should last most of a year.

20240526_131359.jpg

For quick cleanups between deep-cleans, these Crocodile Grill Cloths work really well.
A few weeks ago, I was preparing to grill fajitas for company and had planned to deep clean my grill beforehand.
I ran out of time and instead of using the hose, Dawn, SS cleaner etc I just scraped out the inside, scrubbed the grates,
and wiped down the whole exterior with Crocodile cloths.

This was my first time to use them. I was so pleased with the results that I stepped back while cooking and snapped a pic. :D

They are a little pricey IMO, but I think one box should last most of a year.

View attachment 93141
I'm gonna order some.
How's the Chill holding up in this heat?

I'm gonna order some.
How's the Chill holding up in this heat?
It's doing great! I have been surprised at how cold it gets. I did a test when I first got it - one room temp beer can and one room temp soda bottle
in the garage temp Chill and turned it on. TWO hours later both drinks were at drinking temp, about 37 IIRC and the inside walls were showing about 16 degrees.
For actual use, I start out with the drinks already chilled and it keeps them that way all day. I do try to keep it from direct sunlight and in
some type of shade, but it's a trooper.
And it's nice just to unplug it - no water to dump, or spill.

ETA - I got my Crocodile Cloths on Amazon, but since then I have seen them in Home Depot, too.

wait. . . you're supposed to clean these things?

hahaha. . . in all seriousness, I keep my WSM and kettles covered or stored in the shed when not in use. My cleaning efforts, such that they are, are typically limited to the cooker interior and usually only consist of dumping ash, scraping grates, and removing foil from the water pan or a drip tray. Occasionally, in need be, I'll take a brush to the inside of the lid or the bottom bowl to breakup the flakes (lid) or grease-infused ash.

$20 with tax is steep for a pack of wipes when you can buy a gallon of Zep All Purpose cleaner for $9 and a 15 pack of microfiber cloths for $10 and wash as needed.

Using a hose and a bucket of hot sudsy water would probably work great but Weber does not recommend it on the SmokeFire. I'm sure I could pull it off if I was really careful around the controller, auger motor and fan. I'm still under warranty so don't think I'm going to risk it. Not with my luck!

Last edited:

Back