How much wood to use for smoke?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I apprec the feedback on using backyard oak, but with the comments on over smoking w/ hickory, i want to be careful. How do i know how much hickory and/or oak to use when i cook ribs for 5 hours or a butt for 10?

How many chunks and how often to replenish.

thx,

Davidd,

Take some time to read through the cooking topics here. The information is invaluable in regards to your question.

JimT

How much is a matter of perspective. Everyone doesn't have the same tastes. I like a lot of smoke. I use usually 5 fist sized chunks on ribs and butts.

On ribs I usually use 2-3 pieces of oak and the rest fruitwood. Fruitwood gives a more sweet smoke/taste. I experiment using different amounts. What I am liking lately on ribs is 2 oak and one each of cherry, apple, and grape.

On butts I use more of the heavier smoke and lighter on fruitwood. The sweetness of the fruitwood doesn't seem to stand out on a large cut like butts. I like to throw 2-3 pieces of mesquite on them every once in a while.

I would reccomend starting off light if in doubt. YOu can always put more on the next smoke. Once they are done you can't take the smoke out. Hickory and mesquite are really strong woods and should be used sparingly until you figure out how much you like.

I finally started using hickory a few months ago since I overdone some ribs a couple of years ago. I tried one chunk on ribs and said I couldn't even taste it. The next time I done ribs I put on 2 chunks of hickory and it was too strong for me. I think I am more sensitive to it since I oversmoked those ribs a couple years ago.

Like JimT said check out chris's recipes. When I started out with my wsm I went by his number of chunks and found them to be right on.

Just a note when I overdone those ribs however many years ago. I was using hickory chips on my brinkman. It is easier to oversmoke with chips in my opinion.

I like to call what Chris describes, in his Cooking section of the website proper, "reference cooks", rather than "recipes". They are detailed accounts of successful cooks, and you can hardly go wrong in attempting to follow them to the letter. They represent, quite well, a baseline that will result in above-average results from cook #1. You're free to extrapolate as you see fit, however, in an effort to discover your own personal preferences.

Personally, I've found that the more years I do this, the less smoke I like. When I first started, I'd load around 5 fist size chunks in the beginning of the cook, then a few more later on. Now I usually don't put more then 1 or 2 chunks when I put the meat on, and that's it. That's plenty of smoke for me. All personal preference.

It also matters how you add your smoke wood and how you do your fire. If you do a cook like is described in the BRITU recipe, where you get all the wood burning before you add the meat, you will get less smoke. If you do a minion method fire and bury the wood in the charcoal, you will get more smoke. In the end, it is a matter of personal preference. I agree with Jeff - start off light and work your way up. You can't take smoke away.

Personally, I use very little. I think what I use would amount to about two baseballs in volume. I use even less on chicken.

Back