How Much Rub

JLenart

SO I've been thinking that I may be using too much rub on my pork butts.

How much rub (by volume) do you use on your butts prior to smoking?

Thanks,

John

As much as I can get to stick. There's so much meat that doesn't get seasoned (internal) that when you shred it and mix it in, it all balances out.

Same here as John, I use mustard to help the rub stick and if I had to guess I would say close to 1/4 cup per 6 or 7 lb butt. I don't think you can get to much on a butt. Some people even add more rub and mix in while pulling.

On a related side note, I did cut back on rub on my ribs and chicken, I used to cover heavily just like a butt, after getting a few comments that is was to spicy and to much rub I cut it back by almost half with alot better results. To much rub on ribs or smaller peices of meat will overpower the meat to me unlike a butt.

Randy

I can get a lot more to stick on my butts than 1/2 cup.

What I hab deen doing is slathering with mustard then coating with rub. After a sit over night in the fridge I'd reapply more rub.

I did my first competition last weekend and my butt came out way too spicy.

Then last week I saw some TV show and a few people did butts and seemingly put on way less rub (like just an easy shake) thaan I did.

I'm thinking on my next smoke I'll cut the rub down to right around a 1/2 cup for 6-7 lbs.

I have only done about 10 or so butts on my smoker, so I wont pretend to be a pro. But my best results by far, when it came to using rub, ( I was having problems with getting a good seasoned flavor throughout the butt) using the mustard definitely helped. But I have done several butts that have been brined, and some that have not been brined, and the ones that were brined came out much more tender, juicey, and had a better flavor overall than those that weren't.

So now before I do a pork butt, I brine for at least 8 hours, take it out, pat it good and dry, ( I think paper towels are a BBQ-er's best friend) then apply my mustard, and shake the rub on every possible surface, rub it in good, and then sprinkle even more as a dusting. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I think I'd skip out on the second rub. I've never had a problem with just putting all my rub in a pan and pressing the meat (mustard slathered or not) in the rub. What ever sticks sticks and goes straight on to the smoker.

Also I guess you keep saying that your rub is too spicy... I'll take that as meaning too much heat. Perhaps an adjustment to the rub would be in order if the problem continues.

Keep us posted with the results.

I think I'd have to agree with Josh here. If it is too spicey, adjust your rub and only apply one coat.

JimT

I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th the motion of what John said, I put on as much as the meat will hold and have never thought it was over seasoned or to strong tasting........Has anyone tried Chef Paul Prudhommes BBG Magic? It is awesome when you can't whip up some home made!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I generally use Costco boneless Boston butts. I use the boneless aspect to my advantage. I smear it good with cheap mustard and pour on the rub (maybe as much as a cup) while it's loose. I then it let marinate loose overnight (or as long as you can at a competition) in a zip-loc. I tie it up lightly just before I put it on my WSM (50/50 cherry and hickory).

This method got me 4th place in pork (out of 24) at the Utah State Championship in Salt Lake City this summer.

I think the extra surface area that a boneless butt provides adds significant flavor. Bones in large BBQ cuts are highly overrated anyway.

Cheers,
John

Back