How much pulled pork do you think I need?

Scott M

TVWBB Fan
Have been recruited to bring pulled pork to my fantasy football draft in a few weeks. Will be cooking butt for 12 hungry guys (no SO's or kids). I think there might be macaroni salad as a side and possibly hot dogs and hamburgers but I'm thinking the pork will end up headlining.

I have 2 butts cryo'd together from BJ's totalling 13 lbs (6.5 each). Should I go with both or will that be too much?

I'd go with both. 12 guys should be able to finish off one butt, but I'd do both just to be safe. There will be leftovers, then just freeze them!

There might not even be leftovers with that amount.

Depending on the quantity of other meats being served.

If I were you I would cook 2 packs(4 butts) for 12 guys.

I know if I invited 12 of my friends over for a football game, it would disappear very quickly.

It's always better to have extrea than not enough and hey, it freezes well for another day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott M:
Have been recruited to bring pulled pork to my fantasy football draft in a few weeks. Will be cooking butt for 12 hungry guys
I have 2 butts cryo'd together from BJ's totalling 13 lbs (6.5 each). Should I go with both or will that be too much? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

13 lbs will net you about 6-7 lbs of pork. Divided that by 12, that's about a 1/2 lb per person.

Scott, this may help.

I just did 2 butts (16lbs), 3 BB's, slaw, beans and cornbread for 9 peeps. We had plenty of leftover and could have served 12.

We fed the ribs first as an appetizer and two other apps were brought over.

You'll have plenty if there are appetizers for them to get their bellies up a bit.

Take heavy buns like Kiasers if you're worried about it.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm thinking the 2 butts will be enough - there will be dogs and burgers too.

Late response, but considering 12 "boys" @ 1 lb lb each. I would say you would need 12 lbs pulled. So 24 lb of bone in would give you that finished amount.

Just figure that bone in butts will yield 50% almost without fault.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have 2 butts cryo'd together from BJ's totalling 13 lbs (6.5 each). Should I go with both or will that be too much? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too much pulled pork? Impossible!!!!!!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back