How much fuel for 10 hours on 22.5 WSM?

FredM

I have an offset smoker that is homemade and has served me well but after using the Smokey Joe and a new 22.5 kettle I am thinking about a WSM.

The problem is I am curious how much charcoal I will need. Sam's sells Kingsford for 15 bucks per 40 pounds. How much charcoal will I need to do a 10 hour smoke on a brisket? The advantage will be I need to add wood or tend the fire on my offset at least every hour, it seems you guys can go almost the entire cook without touching the WSM.

Hey Fred,

I have a 18 WSM (not a 22), but can offer some input that may help:

--10hrs for a brisket may be a little fast, but it depends on how you smoke it. (i.e. foil, high heat, etc.)
--look on the main TVWB webpage for Chris' video on how much the 22 WSM charcoal ring holds....I am pretty sure it holds a full 20lb bag of K, and maybe more. I am sure others with 22 WSMs will chime in on the capacity.
--I would think you should get at least 10hrs from a full ring of K in your 22 WSM. When I used K, I would get about 13hrs before the temp started to drop off. So you should not need to add charcoal at all for a 10hr smoke. Even the 18 WSM holds a lot of charcoal.
--Now if you use lump charcoal, you will get a much longer burn time than K based on my limited experience.

Good luck. I am looking to get a 22 WSM as well and can't wait!

Kg

I use USA royal oak charcoal for steaks and burgers on my kettle and it seems to burn up way faster compared to Kingsford. the taste is better and the temp is more suited for steaks so I prefer it for grilling. Also I cook brisket in 10 hours now but I guess if i don't have to mess with it all the time I would be willing to go longer. I saw the video on how much the WSM can hold but 7.50 per cook is kinda scary compared to now when the live oak wood I use is basically free.

Fred,the best thing to do is just load the WSM full. After the cook,you can shut the vents and have leftovers for the next cook. With the WSM,it's better to have too much charcoal,than to have to chuck unlit(or even lit) through the door. Or,even scarier is the "hot squat",where you lift the middle section and dome off,refill the charcoal and put the sections back on! Not recommended or for the faint of heart! HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I use USA royal oak charcoal for steaks and burgers on my kettle and it seems to burn up way faster compared to Kingsford. the taste is better and the temp is more suited for steaks so I prefer it for grilling. Also I cook brisket in 10 hours now but I guess if i don't have to mess with it all the time I would be willing to go longer. I saw the video on how much the WSM can hold but 7.50 per cook is kinda scary compared to now when the live oak wood I use is basically free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fred: The RO burns much hotter than K and you need that high heat for your steaks and burgers, so yes it may burn faster than K in that case. But you may be surprised at how long it will last when you use it for low temp smoking. The only problem with using lump with the WSM is that the temp control may be harder to control. But you will be much happier with the amount of ash left over, and also, you can close all the vents and whatever lump is left over you can use that for your next smoke. I have not had luck trying to re-light K after it is used for longer smokes. And as I alluded to in my previous post, I have been amazed at how much longer the lump burns compared to K when using it in the WSM.

Good luck,
Kg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The problem is I am curious how much charcoal I will need </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The problem is I am curious how much charcoal I will need. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Allways use more than you think you'll need
icon_wink.gif
...on your maiden voyage this means fill 'er up!
icon_biggrin.gif
You can always close the vents post cook saving the leftover coals for your next cook
icon_smile.gif

I tend to use lump most of the time but use Kingsford for overnight cooks. An 18lb bag will get me around 12 hours at 240 on the bottom grate. Of course, your mileage may vary but it's pretty consistent for me, just need to find what yours does. I journal every cook I do just so I know these things.

I'm new to the bullet, but it seems my whole ring is lit and burning away an hour after lighting. Getting a long cook with s fast start like that seems doubtful. (22 1/2")
I'm not convinced this is a long cook (no-refuel) machine like reports on the 18".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm new to the bullet, but it seems my whole ring is lit and burning away an hour after lighting. Getting a long cook with s fast start like that seems doubtful. (22 1/2")
I'm not convinced this is a long cook (no-refuel) machine like reports on the 18". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ron: How are you lighting your charcoal and how far open do you have all of your vents? Even with Kingsford, you should have no problem getting about 12 hours of a 225-250* long smoke with a full ring lit by the minion method. Unless you are having severe air leakage into your WSM causing the coals to light more than they should.

Good luck,
Kg

Back