How Much Flavor Does Charcoal Impart?

Michael F

I've seen some Lazarri mesquite charcoal and wondered how different it would be from other charcoal like oak. Wood smoke charts say that mesquite can cause a bitter tatse during long cooks. How much of that is true for mesquite charcoal? Does charcoal even impart enough flavor to tell what kind of wood it is?

Thanks.

not really. very little taste from mesq lump. i would say there is some taste from charcoal but not huge. i sometimes use just coal so that i don't alter the taste from what i have put on whatever i'm cooking. for taste you really have to use some kind of smoking wood. everyone has a differant taste profile so you really need to find what appeals to you.

That's what I figured. I've used Royal Oak lump and Kingsford briquets and didn't notice a difference in taste. When a company offers charocal in different types of wood though, I thought it might make a difference.

I'm of a different camp. I can tell if it's cooked on K and shy away from that taste since it's too strong for my family. We use Lazzari mesquite lump quite a bit, and though less strong/offensive than K, we can still taste the something it adds (though I find it goes *really* well with beef ;-)

Other forum members have mentioned more neutral lumps available, and I'm searching those out. Current todo list (not in any order): Wicked Good, Lazzari oak lump, Royal Oak lump.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael F:
I've seen some Lazarri mesquite charcoal and wondered how different it would be from other charcoal like oak. Wood smoke charts say that mesquite can cause a bitter tatse during long cooks. How much of that is true for mesquite charcoal? Does charcoal even impart enough flavor to tell what kind of wood it is?

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You're not supposed to be able to taste charcoal, but I think steaks cooked on the kettle taste better than steaks cooked on the gasser. Maybe it's me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew:
You're not supposed to be able to taste charcoal, but I think steaks cooked on the kettle taste better than steaks cooked on the gasser. Maybe it's me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right. Charcoal grilled food tastes better so I suppose it does add to the flavor. What I'm wondering now is if there is a noticable difference between the types of wood the charcoal is made from. Will mesquite lump taste different from oak lump? The type of wood we choose for smoke affects taste, but is it the same for the type of wood charcoal? I want to try the Lazarri, but I'm not sure if it being mesquite will affect anything too much.

Michael,

I'd say beyond doubt lump wood type affects taste. My favorite lump these days is B&B from Texas (get @ Academy sports stores). They have 2 types of lump, strictly oak or strictly mesquite. I've not tried the mesquite yet but the oak - WOW! It really flavors my cooks with oak taste which I remember from bbq growing up in San Antonio and the Hill country area. Lot of live oak use on bbq there. Anyway, it is my favorite lump and love what it adds to the cook.

I would definetly agree that different charcoal has different flavors. I currently have 2 favorites, and am searching for more. I've only ever used lump, so I can't speak to bri.
1)Maple Leaf - Beech, Maple and Yellow Birch. I find this is slightly sweet flavored. Goes really well with chicken and pork ribs, but nice with everything. My favorite.
2)Dragons Breath - I find this is a fairly neutral/clean flavor, and very hot burning.

What I'm trying now is "Hard Coals" and "Wicked Good" both have a blend of south american hardwoods...and I find have a nice flavor for that type of cooking.

I'm trying to find something that is a definate "beef" flavor...mesquite or hickory without being too strong. (If I want stronger flavor, I'll put chunks or chips in.)

Cheers.

It *can* make a big difference depending on how completely carbonized the wood is. Mesquite lump definitely affects the flavor but it shouldn't be overpowering or anything. Everybody has a different frame of reference - I tend to go pretty light on the wood chunks so the charcoal choice matters more than if you're just going to overpower it with a ton of hickory or whatever.

I like it with whole chickens - if you want to try it out I'd just roast a chicken and see if you like it. Plan B would be steak - lots of folks like mesquite for steak and it does tend to burn hot which is nice for the browning stage. I don't use any additional smoke wood when I cook with mesquite lump.

Back