How much charcoal will fit in your WSM and how long...

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

will it last for a normal bbq session? (assume decent weather and about 2 pork butts)

I appologize if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it in the search. I just wanted to get a poll of different folks experiences. Thanks all,

JD

Yeah, it's been discussed before, but that's okay.

I've never weighed or counted briquets. I just fill the charcoal ring to the top, then move some out of the center to the edges to create a small indent to put the 10-12 lit briquets (Minion Method). It ends up being a domed over or heaping ring full.

I've had it burn steady for 18 hours, at which point I tapped the legs to knock the ash down and it went another 6.

I haven[t counted either - I also fill the ring, dump a few lit on top and it burns long enough to cook a packer or 4 butts

My mileage is a bit less- about 15 hours is the most I've asked for. I do the Minion Method with a bottomless 1 lb coffee can surrounded by unlit coals. Pour lit coals in the coffee can and then pull the can out- leaving a cylinder of burning coals surrounded by unlit.

The stock water pan isn't good for nearly as long. I replaced mine with a Brinkman Charcoal Pan which is about 3x the capacity.

Of course if you go with a dry or sand filled water pan there's no need for more capacity and as long as you can control temps you would use less charcoal. Boiling off 2 gallons of water takes about 16,000 BTU's. Kingsford briquettes are about 10,000 BTU's per pound, so that's almost two pounds of charcoal consumed by the water pan.

I basically fill the ring too. Light it off and I get more than 16 hours if needed. I use sand in my pan.

A full ring should last as long as you need it to assuming you are using the minion method.

Depending on how high you pile and with what water pan you are using, anywhere from 10-15 lbs of charcoal can fit in one load.

Using the larger brinkman pan will keep you to around 10-12 lbs of briquets.

I use lump, and probably get about 9-10 lbs in the ring.

Both types of fuel last a long time in average conditions. 24 hours on lump, 20 hours on charcoal.....others may have gone longer.

Every cook can be a little different, especially because of the mass of meat being cooked.

I usually get about a half of an 11 pound bag of week end warrior in mine and it lasts great. I do use a guru and that extends the charcoal life I just finished a 16.5 hour smoke with some to spare and overnight temps were in the 20's

Back