How much charcoal used during a cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi everyone, I've cooked on my WSM about 6 times now and I use 10lbs of Kingsford charcoal each cook. Is this the normal amount of charcoal needed for a cook, or am I using to much? Also, sometimes I have to leave all vent's at 100% open to just reach 250Degrees, even on warm days. I use the Minion Method for each cook. Is there something I am missing? Thanks for your replys. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

The amount of charcoal is directly related to what you're cooking. Doing 4 butts for 20 hours will take closer to 16lbs, while a single rack of ribs for 4 hours will only take 5lbs.

So 10lbs isn't out of line.

I tend to cook the same way no matter what I'm doing.

I use whatever charcoal was left from the last cook. I stir the charcoal to clear all the ash and dump ip. Then I top the ring up with fresh charcoal. Then I light 20 or so in the chimney and dump them on top. I cook for however long I need, at whatever temp I need, and add a few more charcoal if I need.

When I'm done cooking I close all the vents and let the fire go out and repeat for the next cook using whatever charcoal was left unburnt.

I've read posts about bad things when using partially burned charcoal but I've never experienced anything bad due to it. I think its the bad smell of igniting charcoal that has people worried, but I get that smell from fresh charcoal as well and it's never been imparted to the food.

As for achieving temp, I have some trouble getting up to temp as well, but after a recent trip back to Arizona, I decided it was due to altitude. In AZ I had trouble keeping temps down, here in Colorado I have trouble keeping temps up.

About 4 months ago I purchased a BBQ Guru (refer to the modifications board for many threads about the guru) and I've had little trouble with temperatures since.

I dunno, but something doesn't seem right.

Sunday I cooked ribs-two slabs plus all the trimmed off pieces. I put in about 9 lbs of briquettes total, that included the 15-20 started in the chimney (Minion method). The temps held steady 235-244 for 9 hours with two vents completely closed and the third about a quarter open until the last hour when I opened the one all the way. Top vent open all the way. Sand in the pan. Outside temp about 52 degrees. Little to no wind.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Mason:
[qb] I dunno, but something doesn't seem right.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Nothing seems unusual in your description to me-- except 9 hours for ribs? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

how are you measuring temp? Check your thermometer in boiling water. Also, if your checking through the top vent, how long is your thermometer stem. I had a thermometer that was short and it read about 25 degrees cooler than when I got a longer stem thermometer. Just some ideas.

Well my response wasn't very clear was it? My appologies.

Doug, my WSM held a steady temp for 9 hours, the ribs only took 5 1/2. I like to let it go after the meat's done just to see how long it'll hold the steady temp. I'm still amazed at this cooker's ability to run long.

The only thing about Steve's experience that seemed wrong was having to open the vents 100% just to get 250 degrees. If I opened my vents 100% I'd be up to 325 in no time.

The description of my cook was just to compare the amount the vents were open (mine all but closed) with Steve's (sometimes needing to be open 100%) and that I get about 8-9 hour burns with about 9 lbs. of briquettes, so he could compare the burn time with his, using 10 lbs.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks everyone for the input, I have a turkey fryer thermometer that I teste in boiling water and adjusted for accuracy. I don't know if I put to much water in the water pan because I never have to refill it during a cook. It was 50 Degrees outside yesterday with little to no wind. I have always had to keep all my vents open to reach 250 Degrees, and have to stir the coals after about5-6 hours. I use the Minion Method to the tee, but still can't keep the temp long.

Doug,

Some of the best spare ribs that I have ever cooked have been on the WSM and they were all long cooks. The times for those cooks were all over 9 hours.

I keep the temp low and render all of that intramuscular fat out of the spares.

The meat doesn't fall off the bone but, with the slightest help, the bone is clean.

I've cooked more spares than anything else on my WSM, and--without using foil-- the only thing too low and too slow gets you is the probability of dried-out ends. Without foil, average 2.25 lb. racks for around 6 hours at 250* gets the fat out without drying out, and the texture is perfect. Although, lately, I've been cooking even a bit shorter using 3-2-1 foiling, with absolutely no chance of dried ends.

My Ribs yesterday turned out really tough. But I have to say that I did not remove the membranes before cooking. I used mustard and bonesmokers rub on them. They tasted good, but as I said, really tough. I smoked them for 5-6 hours. I bought a couple of rib racks to put them in. I basted them with apple cinder juice, but I don't know if I basted them enough. Any Suggestions??

Steve:

Try using sand instead of water. I've been having trouble all winter maintaing steady temps, until two smokes ago, when I finally went from sand to water. My last cook, I went 7+ hours barely adjusting the vents at all, and had plenty of charcoal left when I finally shut things down.

And, yes, that membrane can make things pretty tough...

Steve

You didn't say if you were doing BB or spares. If it was spares the time may have been a little short. If you use a toothpick between the bones and see if it goes in easily, you'll know the ribs are tender,

On spares, at least, it is a must to remove the membrane. If you follow the directions in the cooking section it's not too much trouble. Be sure to use a paper towel to grasp the membrane when you pull. If it breaks off, free up another section and keep pulling.

Sounds like you're doing everything else right. Good luck.

Paul

Steve...

If your BBQ meat is tough it is a sign of not being cooked long enough. Now, that may mean your thermo is off or you had an extra heavy load in the cooker. Regardless, anytime ribs or brisket or butt is tough it simply needs more time.

The membrane will not cause a rib to be tough. I have cooked many racks of ribs with the membrane still attached and they come out nice and tender. John Willingham always keeps the membrane on and has done very good in the competitions.

When I first started cooking ribs, I cooked the bronto spares...those that sell for around $1 / lb. Even after trimming they took 9 hours to finish. When I finally got around to weighing them, after-trim weight was upwards of 3 lbs. At that weight, 9 hours is not out of line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back