How many of you have a charcoal grill? what makes you decide what to use?

I use charcoal whenever I have the time, am wiling to put forth the effort, and am not worried about precise temp controls. I've been a Weber Gasser for years and know my way around them quite well. I just started with charcoal earlier this year and am still learning the ins and outs of it i.e. how many coals to load, how/where to position them for direct or indirect cooks, how many lit coals to use, those kinds of things.

Don't worry about any of that Dave, just bank a chimney on a side of the kettle & work with that. Charcoal is so forgiving.

I try to follow the "rule" if it takes 20 minutes or less, I use the Spirit. If it takes longer, I use the 22.5 kettle. As far as what I prefer, I like both, but maybe a slight nod to the kettle.

Like many others I use both for many of the same items but I have several items that I will only do on charcoal or only on gas. I do things that have a lot of grease only on charcoal such as bacon items, rib eye steaks, ribs, and brats. Things that are very delicate or dependent on consistent temperature , go only on gas such as talapia fillets and bread. Other typical items I make like chops, chicken pieces, burgers, potatoes and veggies, go on which ever one I feel like firing up. Sometimes that is determined by available time, other times by the fact that I have it fired up to make one of the type items I mentioned above. If I have a gasser fired up to make fish, I'll use the gasser also to do the sides sort of thing.

Last edited:
Just as a general warning in friendly ways. Think long and hard about buying and eating Tilapia. Unless you're 100% sure of it's source it is not the healthy to eat fish you think it is. Most of it available in this country (like many other so called "farmed" fish comes from places like China and other 3rd world countries that feed them on raw sewage, sometimes even plastic derivatives and other nefarious ingredients. Any time you see "farm raised" on a fish your caution flag should go up.
Some farm raised fish is as good as and in some cases even better than their wild counterparts. Example: Claire Island salmon. Many farm raised fish are also dumped full of GMO feeds. Again something that gives me the willies personally.
I have never found a reliable i.e. wholesome source of Tilapia so it never shows up in my home and I refuse to eat it or let anyone I care about eat it. Food for thought.

For me it depends on how much time I have to cook. During busy weeknights I rarely use the Performer due to time constraints, so the Genesis EP320 gets the nod. Weekends it's the Performer all the way!

It's funny, but years ago I used the Genesis when there were "time constraints", typically for spur of the moment weeknight cooks. Then, the gas bottle ran out and I didn't replace it for years; I just used the Performer. During that time, I never had a problem with time constraints, and still cooked those last minute weekday meals. Got the Genesis going again, and now I'm back to my old habits. Go figure.

I sold my gasser shortly after buying my Performer. Having the gas assist makes it a breeze to start up. I turn it on while I start to prep, and within ~10 minutes she is pre-heated and ready to go.

I would have to say at this time of year when it is 32 outside the jenny gets the call. Also when it is a fast cook say for one nothing fancy it goes to the gas grill, but for flavor or slow cooking or the Thanks giving turkey it is onto the WSM or the performer.
They all have there place and it is good to switch around and use them all. My feeling is as long as you are grilling it is all good.

I have a Genesis and a kettle. The gasser is good for a quick week night steak or chop or bscb. On the weekends,I almost always cook with the kettle. Not always,but pretty close!

Anymore I'm using my Spirit as an oven. I've been baking bread, Mac & Cheese, and dips in it. Now don't get me wrong, burgers and dogs will see there time on the Spirit. My Performer is mainly used for indirect cooking using temps above 300. My Bullet is used for smoking, and brazing, using temps below 300. My 18 OTG is used for Poppers and sides, again mostly indirect cooking. I don't even check the temp of the 18, it's more of a feel thing with it. Lastly the Smokey Joe. This I use for anything I"m going to cook hot and fast. I use a small chimney of charcoal in it, and never put the lid on.
Everyone laughs at all my grills, but each one has a job, and does that job well.

You're spot on Mark, they just don't understand that each cooker has a specific job until they eat the food, and then it's "How do you get that wonderful taste". Our toys are magic.

You're spot on Mark, they just don't understand that each cooker has a specific job until they eat the food, and then it's "How do you get that wonderful taste". Our toys are magic.

The only toy in my arsenal is the small display Weber I have, and heck I even fill that one with nuts when I have parties.
ry%3D400

Love them all.

Back