How many Heatermeter/Raspi built so far

I just completed my fourth 4.2.4 HM today. Fantastic project! Combines 3 of my favorite things - bbq smokin', melting solder, and Raspberry Pi / Linux! I built my first unit about 6 months ago. Then completed two I will be giving as Christmas gifts. And finally a "backup" for me since I already had an RP B on hand. Funny . . . I registered on this web site in 2009. And think this may be my first post. Ha.

(Upon posting . . . see I must have done a few posts back in the day. Great forum.)

I just finished building a HM 4.2.4. I've had a raspberry pi laying around for a few years that I didn't know what to do with, so I figured why not. I'm also in the process of assembling a MicroDamper to go with it and attach to my BPS UDS.

Awesome, guys!

I'm happy to say that we recently passed 1500 registered HeaterMeter devices. Of those 448 were used this month, 211 this week! I think it is pretty cool that almost one out of every 3 HeaterMeters made is actively being used in this month. It isn't iPhone numbers but just goes to show how many of us there are out there.

Awesome, guys!

I'm happy to say that we recently passed 1500 registered HeaterMeter devices. Of those 448 were used this month, 211 this week! I think it is pretty cool that almost one out of every 3 HeaterMeters made is actively being used in this month. It isn't iPhone numbers but just goes to show how many of us there are out there.

Bryan,

Any plans for having the Heatermeter.com page show a world map showing the location all the Heatermeters that phoned home? Maybe with a phone home location opt out in the config page.

To play Devil's Advocate for just a sec..... some of us have turned off the registration feature. You've probably got more than that running.

I'll have mine running with a standing rib roast this week (Garrett is planning on being here,) and a ham next week.

Bryan,

Any plans for having the Heatermeter.com page show a world map showing the location all the Heatermeters that phoned home? Maybe with a phone home location opt out in the config page.

I would be more comfortable with that being an "opt in" feature. I don't feel like having a little dot appear above my house on google maps showing everyone where to come get some BBQ. Invite only.

I would be more comfortable with that being an "opt in" feature. I don't feel like having a little dot appear above my house on google maps showing everyone where to come get some BBQ. Invite only.
Yeah this is exactly why there isn't any geolocation information. There's no way to turn it off so I prefer to err on the side of privacy.

At some point there's a grand plan to have a "Smoky Link" integration page. On the HeaterMeter you create a unique name for yourself and then you'll get the http://xxxx.smoky.link/ dyndns registered to your device. Along with the registration you can then choose if you want your device to be listed as public (i.e. people going to just smoky.link will see it listed for connecting to and viewing), mapped (i.e. the geolocation shows on a map), or private (i.e. just included in the aggregate count). There's also a check to completely opt out and not even call home, but you won't get the dyndns feature. The opt out is currently implemented for those who don't want their device registered:
Code:
uci set linkmeter.live.optout=1
uci commit

At best, you can be located using a Geo IP database. Those are often not the most reliable sources of info, especially if you belong to a nationwide ISP / telco, as they can re-jig their IP blocks at a moments notice. So the most granular you can get is the city that the IP -might- be in and it gets less detailed from there.

I have mine made by someone else, but i guess that counts too? The second one is under construction, because i like to use my 3 Webers simultaneously for low and slow as well as grilling. So you can add 2 to the list.

Back