How many butts do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
I'm feeding up to 30 people this weekend at our Luau party. I think I can only fit 4 pork butts in my WSM. A few won't be eating pork butts, but most probably will. How many people can 4 6-7lb butts feed?

With 4 oz servings you should be able to serve 14 people per 6 to 7 pound butt (figuring 50% shrinkage). Two butts should be enough for the crowd you are talking about but you will do 3 to make sure there is more than enough.
Jim

For Butts or Brisket I think a half pound of uncooked meat per person is a safe bet. Allowing for shrinkage that will give you 4 to 6oz per person. Same Ball Park for Brisket. 6lbsx4 Butts = 24Lbs uncooked for 48 Portions. Now I can eat more than that as can my BIG buddies. Ways to extend it is a good slaw and a good potato salad. Now I'm of the school that says pulled pork on a bun with sauce and slaw is just about as near the perfect sandwich as you can get and you extend the meat supply.
My $0.02 HTH,

Hi Russ...

I always figure on the high end because pulled pork is so easy to freeze and re-heat. I also do not figure in the weight of any sauce, as I serve that separate and on the side.

Here is my math............

1/2 lb./person. That is high and 1/4 lb. may be more in line(especially with sides), but like I said, I shoot for higher numbers.

That means you will need FINISHED weight of 15 pounds of meat.

Pork butt will yield 50%, so you need 30 lbs. of UNCOOKED butt.

Using the 1/4 pound figure.....

You would need 7 1/2 lbs. finished, which means 15 pounds of uncooked.

Thanks ya'll. Wow what fast replies!!

BTW My baby backs turned out AWESOME using apple chips and cherry chunks last weekend. I also had two 6 1/2 pound chickens in there and those turned out great as well. I did the beer butt method, but used cans of diet RC instead since I was out of beer.

Well, last weekend, i made 2 5lb. butts. Had 5 people over, the 6 of us at 1 whole 5lb butt and a whole chicken! And there were 2 girls in the group! But then again, i'm a HUGE eater, i don't know how given that i'm 6'2" weight 185!

We also had slaw and other stuff, but that goes to show that it really depends how much people eat. I say make as much as possibly and freeze the leftovers! There is never too much pork butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back