How long to cook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dale, use the "search" function on the site. You will be inundated with a wealth of information. I have'nt done a turkey yet, but when I do it will be at 325-350.

2 1/2 to 3 hours, more or less, at 325 - 340 (till breast is almost 160 and thigh is 170-175) gets you this. I'd switch top and bottom after about 1 1/2 hours.

(And, yes, I AM getting a lot of mileage out of this picture. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

Keri C
Still Smokin on Tulsa Time

Dale,

I don't recommend cooking turkeys at 225-250*F anymore. Turkey's not a tough piece of meat and doesn't benefit from cooking at low temps for long periods of time.

I suggest 325-350*F. I've not cooked two turkeys at the same time in the WSM, but one 12 pounder will be 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Two turkeys is going to be longer, but not twice as long. I'm thinking 3-1/2 to 4 hours? But monitor internal temp carefully until each registers 160-165*F in the breast, 170-175*F in the thigh.

If one gets done before the other, cover and store in a empty ice chest if you have one.

Use plenty of fuel, get it ripping hot before putting in the turkeys. I would probably rotate top to bottom like Keri said, at 1-1/2 or maybe 2 hours.

Let us know how they turn out!

Regards,
Chris

First of all a "Big thank you" for all the response to my question. My cook took 3 1/2 hours.My target range was 325-350,but I had a hard time getting over 300 in the first hour and a half.Even though I let the birds sit at room temperature for about an hour and a half,and had two lit weber chimney's in there, 25 pounds of cold turkey is a big heat sink.I added one more lit chimney at the two hour mark when I rotated the birds and that drove the temp up to 350. I used a ET 73 on the bottom and a Taylor instant read on the top to monitor everything.As it turned out,good color and good skin.One turkey was a self basting(8%) and the other was honey brined using the recipe from here. The honey brined bird was the winner.

I cooked two ( 11 lbs) on thursday.
They took just about 3 hrs. One was honey brined and the other was cajun with the help of Jim Minions injection recipe ( Zaigaraines, butter, garlic and onion oil)
They were the perfect size for the WSM as I was able to use V-Racks on both. Started both breast side down for the first hour and flipped them over and switched levels. At the end of the second hour switched levels again as the upper grate appeared to be significantly hotter.
Both were excellent. It takes longer to cook two, but not much. One thing to be aware of, is the temp. My Trend was showing 225 for almost the entire cook, but the portable inside was confirming 340, the entire cook. There's very little room on the top, so even if the thermo is not hitting the bird , it's so close that I think it throws the readings off.
Followed Chris's reccomendations with charcoal, ..one full lit webber and one unlit over top, although I added ywo additional handfuls to take care of the extra bird.
WILL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back