How long is the REAL shelf life of ground new mexico Chile pepper

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I saw Farmland Natural butts on sale this week for .99 and grabbed a case. I want to cook Tuesday night but realize the chile powder I bought was last purchased in 2009 from da gift basket in New Mexico for "A Butt Rub for Jane" recipe .

On the bag they put a one year expiration date form when I purchased but they still are retaining all of their heat characteristics but may have lost a little of the nuances of the pepper. There was just a hint of a bitter taste in the chiles but that may or may not be normal ?

I went to both Penzys (which is worthless to me) and the Spice House today. The Spice House had a new Mexico Chile powder but it had no heat to it after the manager and I both tried them side by side.

Trying to decide what to do. If I order tomorrow I can't cook til this weekend. I have time this week so that's a less than ideal solution but in the end I do not want to compromise on the end product.

The chilehead at the spice house said he thought I could just use it but I wanted to see what others thought. Would you substitute anything for it, Use it, or wait until the next batch arrives?

thanks

Last edited:
I'd use it if it tastes okay to you but 13 years is a looong time. Compare the taste (not so much the level of heat) to the fresh Spice House stuff and decide.

Thanks Marc, I made a 10 year typo in the original post. I purchased originally in 2009 not 1999 (I just changed the original post)

Do what Bob said and use it as a filler in a batch of rub instead of paprika perhaps, unless it is bitter or foul tasting.

Rule of thumb is that a ground spice is good for 6 months. I'm sure it will last some longer than that, but most spices aren't that expensive so why not rotate them out. I date mine when I get them so I will know for sure.

Back