How long is meat good for in the fridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
I smoked 2 sams untrimmed briskets and 4 sams boston butts today for my department xmas party this Thursday. I usually don't smoke this far in advance, but I had to since its on a Thursay. Anyway, I don't want to waste tilia bags for a few days of storage, so I put everything in 1 gal ziplocks. If I just keep it in the fridge, will it be good until Thursday? That's 4-5 days. I usually eat it after it's beein in the fridge for that long, but I don't want anyone else to get sick (so far I haven't gotten sick!)
Thanks

Russ,

Preface by saying I am not an expert on how long you can safely store meat in the refrigerator, however, 4 to 5 days, to me, IMHO, is starting to get on the outer limits of what I would consider safe storage around my house.

If I cooked a steak on Sunday and put some in the refrigerator (well there wouldn't be any left to put in there, but..) I don't know that come Thursday or Friday I would eat it.

OK. So I probably would be better off putting it in the freezer for 1-2 days and taking it back out a cuople days prior, that would probably work OK.

Sort of on topic -- can anyone post their experiences with vacuum-pack foodsaver appliances? I've really been thinking hard about getting one of these. I'm looking at the Tilia Professional II -- it's got pretty good reviews on Amazon.com. It sounds like the Rival ones are so-so, and someone on this site discussed a Sears one they were considering (got me started thinking).

So, how's it work for BBQ? This may be my post-Christmas present to myself!

-Chris Estes-

Chris, I have the FoodSaver 550 and I love mine. It gives you an excuse to "overcook", when I get done I simply vacpac some bags with whatever I cooked and I have Q anytime I want.

Just have to be careful with liquids not getting up to the vac sealer rod or whatever you call it, or it won't make a good seal.

I don't think you will be disapointed. Oh and by the way Tilia makes the Kenmore product for Sears. Sears bags will work in the FoodSaver.

Russ,

USDA says 3-4 days in the refrigerator for cooked meat.

Chris,

Click search at top of page and do one on "Foodsaver". You'll get lots of past recommendations.

Regards,
Chris

I have the Professional II and love it. It's a great investment, well worth it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Estes:
[qb] Sort of on topic -- can anyone post their experiences with vacuum-pack foodsaver appliances? I've really been thinking hard about getting one of these. I'm looking at the Tilia Professional II -- it's got pretty good reviews on Amazon.com. It sounds like the Rival ones are so-so, and someone on this site discussed a Sears one they were considering (got me started thinking).

So, how's it work for BBQ? This may be my post-Christmas present to myself!

-Chris Estes- [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would freeze but not an expert either. I love my Foodsaver Pro also. Did not know there were other bags available. Do the Sears bags cost less??? Can you get the roles???

I Have the 1050 and love it.
I just love buying 5lb bricks of cheese and
making 1lb packages out of it.
Yes, The Kenmore bags do work with the Foodsaver.
So will Black and Decker and Rival bags.
You can get B&D bags at ACE Hardware.
Rival bags are sold only at Kmart.
You can also get a generic type bag pretty
cheap at goodmans.com.
"How the heck does he know all this" You are
probably thinking.
I read the Yahoo group That is all about Vacuum
sealing Click Here

Jim C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back