How long / how much wood for just 1 butt??

Timmy R

TVWBB Member
Change in plans and cut back to 1 butt for tomorrow night's dinner (I know how good the leftovers are...) I figure I can plan the same amount of time (give or take) and about 5 chunks of wood (2 apple, 2 oak, 1 hickory)

Am I in the ballpark? Thanks...back to my Flatlander's Scotch Ale.....

Yep your in the game.
icon_biggrin.gif
Wood amount is fine. Figure 1.5 - 2 hrs per lb for the Butt. I usually do just one bone in Butt. They are in the 8 lb range and take 14 -15 hrs. HTH

Thnx...just under 7 pounder, bone-in and I plan to light fire (MM) at 11:00 p.m. I use the drip pan with a clay pot base nested in it and WGC for fuel. I figured 1 verus 2 was minimal difference.

2300 - meat on; 4 handfulls of lit WGC added to full WSM ring of charcoal; low vents all at 1/4 and top full open (with temp probe/cork blocking one.) Off we go. Back to my homebrew. Cheers.....

With your set up I am curious where the temps (WSM and meat) were at when you woke up. Did you check overnight (probably not with all the homebrew
icon_smile.gif
)

I had a cook drop in temp last time and that caused me some issues which were overcome but the brisket was tender but a dry.

Went to bed last night with all well and 20 deg F outside. Woke up at 6 AM (~7 hours into smoke) and meat was ~160F and smoker at 230F....all was well. Temps here are now 18F and my smoker will barely hold 210 deg. with all vents 100% open. Just lit more charcoal and added fuel. I'll update in a couple hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Change in plans and cut back to 1 butt for tomorrow night's dinner (I know how good the leftovers are...) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim I remember when I posted on the site when I did my first pork butt someone told me why fire up the cooker for just one Butt. Do two and the left overs you can freeze or pig out on. Just a thought. Good luck!!!!!

We just decided we were too lazy to pull 2 roasts and freeze 7+ pounds of meat. On a side note I am in crisis management now as the wx here is COLD and my WSM is barely holding 220*.

Update: 23*F outside and cooker hanging on at 230* with meat stalled out at 162*. The last 5 hours its been 157-162. Hoping to break thru by 3 pm or add more lit charcoal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy R:
Update: 23*F outside and cooker hanging on at 230* with meat stalled out at 162*. The last 5 hours its been 157-162. Hoping to break thru by 3 pm or add more lit charcoal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I read about your low temp problem overnight but you can crank the heat up to push the Butt through the plateau. Light a full chimney and dump it in with all vents wide open.

Thnx Bryan. Just wrapped my WSM with a water heater jacket. It needs to be sealed up around the edges, but is stilol helping for now. Probe shows 169* and smoker at 250*.

Going to light charcoal in shortly and heat it up.

No need for more charcoal yet. Insulation blanket bought me 40*--running at 295* now and hoping to make dinner in 2 hours (meat at 172)

Back