How long can you rest roast pork?

Daniel C

For Thanksgiving, I'm making 2 smoked turkeys on my WSM 18". I also want to make 2 pork butts, not for pulled pork but for roast pork, which my family has enjoyed more than pulled pork lately. My question is, I want to use the WSM to make all the food, cooking the pork butts first and then the turkeys - so estimating it will take about 3 hours to smoke the turkeys (spatchcocked and dry-brined), can I rest the pork for that long in a dry cooler until it's time to carve the turkey? I've read that brisket can rest for as long as 4 hours, but not sure I've heard how long you can reasonably rest pork butts.

I've rested pork butts for 4 hours and maybe a little bit more with no problem. I just wrap them in 2 layers of foil and wrap that with a few bath towels in the cooler and they come out to hot to hold with bare hands. Had to use gloves or pot holders. Good Luck.

Make sure to let them cool slightly before you wrap. Otherwise they will continue to cook and end up pullable rather than sliceable.

Back