How long can you hold briskets in a cooler?

TomB

Am doing briskets for a large group next weekend. After I wrap them in foil, how long can I keep them in the cooler before slicing and serving.

Thanks

I've done 6 hrs in a pre heated cooler, briskets wrapped well in foil and towels, with no monitoring of temps. Still was pretty hot on the hands when slicing.
icon_wink.gif

I'd say two hours after the internal temp drops below 140 is safe. You could probably go 6 hours plus if properly insulated with a towel or blanket. The more briskets, the longer it will hold because of the the increased thermal mass.

depends on how many briskets and the size of the cooler.

i have kept up to 20 briskets at safe eating temp for up to 10 hours in an extra large igloo cooler. just dont open it till your ready and check the temp before serving.

With a pre-heated cooler and all the other space taken up with towels, etc, you can keep it hot for an amazingly long time. When I've needed to go for a very long time, I've even heated a couple bricks (an hour or two in a 300 degree oven), wrapped them in towels and used them as an additional "heat source" at the bottom of my cooler. Once they have been heated, the bricks retain their heat exceptionally well.

Bill

Back