How long can I hold a brisket OR when should I start?

FJ Abraham

TVWBB Fan
I bought a 15.75 lb. packer and neeed to serve it for dinner (not lunch for your Midwesterners) tomorrow night. I'm guessing it will be in the 13+ lb. range after trimming.

I need to serve it about 6:30. I figure it will cook 16-19 hrs at about 225 (sound right?). How long can a brisket be held foiled and wrapped in a preheated cooler?

Why not do the high heat brisket so highly recommended on here and not have to deal with a very early morning/late night start?

i do a lot of briskits. I don't exactly "log" my times but I do know that i came up with 20-21 hours. this means in my head i would give myself about 23 or so. I do this because i know it will stay very warm in a cooler for up to 41/2 hours. 4 1/2 is my personal longest time give or take but it was absolutely still hot. I also threw a towel on the top. I think it would stay longer myself. In case of "food crisis" i like to have a 3 hour head start because of weather, temp issues, etc., anything that could go wrong. Plus when im preparing at 4 a.m. im pretty sleepy and screwed up trying to do all the prep. If you cook around 235-240 like myself that will also perhaps pinch off another hour or two, and wont affect the final product i promise, thats my ussual range. Thats just me, lots of good info on here from everyone that im sure you'll here.
edit: just realized i should say i don't trim much at all and that the times may be shorter then i say if your trimmin' that much weight. basicly im not sure of anything, shes done when shes... well you've already heard that saying.
icon_biggrin.gif

You could start at 9, 10, 11 AM if you did the high temp method. Just something to consider.

Research it here, and decide. You'll probably not miss giving up all that extra time.

Thanks guys.

I'm not too keen on the high temp method, not tried it but I like the traditional methods best (more fun).

I guess my best bet is to shoot for 10-11pm tonight. If I start at 10 and it takes 17 hrs. that puts me at 3pm. If it takes 20 hrs I'm at 6pm. Sounds safe enough, unless of course the dang thing cooks way too fast like my last one did.

You can also shorten the cook some by seperating the point from the flat leaving fat on the flat.

Is it select, choice or prime brisket?

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
You can also shorten the cook some by seperating the point from the flat leaving fat on the flat.

Is it select, choice or prime brisket?

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

Thanks for the note. It's most likely Select as it's from Sam's. I'm ashamed to note I didn't notice!

I'm not so worried about it taking too long, I just checked it, it's at 160 just a hair under 8 hrs, a bit too quick for me. I hope it doesn't finish too fast. I just foiled it and will take the foil off an hour or so before pulling it.

I always use the Method by the way, thanks!

Back