How hot is too hot ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bob,

I am no Guru,like some on here, but if your vents are all the way open and you are using enough charcoal then I would suspect that the charcoal could be generating less heat because it is damp or the guage could be sticking or is bad?

Try a different thermometer and a different bag of charcoal if you haven't already.

Hope you figure it out fellow Mainer.

I moved to southern New Mexico from central Florida a little over a year ago. When I got the grill and charcoal chimney in Florida, I always wondered what I was doing wrong. Instructions and experts would say you use one piece of newspaper, and you have blazing hot coals in 10 minutes or so, but I had to keep adding more fuel to the chimney, and it took forever to get lit.

Here in New Mexico, where 5% humidity is common, and people complain about how oppressive it is when it hits 12%, my charcoal lights right up as it's supposed to.

In Florida, I kept the charcoal inside the air-conditioned house, but I'm guessing the humidity just takes a lot of heat away when trying to build a fire.

I've never compared temperatures in the grill, though.

I tend to agrre with with Jason. I moved form central Florida 3 1/2 years ago to NW Montana and have experienced the same thing as John with quicker lights here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back