How far would you travel to buy a used 18.5 WSM?

steveD

TVWBB Fan
I found an 18.5" WSM listed for sale for $175. It has been listed for a while, but price was already dropped from original asking price of $250. From the pictures, it looks really nice:

7a146eb1fc4aece14cdf0fc637806d5f.jpg

So, how far would you travel to get it? It is 100 miles (2 hrs +/-) from me... is it worth it?

As a general rule of thumb, I always figure 50% of retail is a good deal for anything used. Assuming you meant a hundred miles each way, that would be about $50 in my truck, so at $175 it would not be worth it to me, because the total cost would be $225, which is only a 25% savings off of retail. I don't figure in my time costs on anything like this, cause it is doing something that I enjoy.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I would agree with Tom. While the 18.5 looks to be in good shape, it is not new and has seen a lot of use from the condition of the door. New they are $300.00 and assuming the drive is 100 miles each way, that is a healthy portion of a tank of gas and at current prices that is not cheap. When I bought my 20 year old Genesis 1000 a few years back, the drive was a little more than an hour and the cost of the grill was about $55.00 plus the cost of the rehab. That was worth my time since it was a redhead and that is what I wanted. For a 18.5 WSM I don't think I would pay more than $125 to $150 depending how far I have to go and the condition and the age of the smoker. Good Luck.

This has made me think about this topic because I am starting to look for a used WSM18. I am not in any rush but I now have a better idea of how I will handle it. Thanks.

Thanks guys, you basically echoed my thoughts. I figured I wouldn't be interested in it at all unless I could get the price down into the $100-150 range anyway, but even at that price I think I'd rather wait to see if something a bit closer pops up since I'm not in a hurry to buy.

Back