How early do you rub your ribs?

MacPete

TVWBB Member
Morning all,
4 racks BRITU side ribs planned for Thursday, and I wondered, how early do folks apply their rubs?
Traditionally, I've been rubbing them just before I go to bed, for a noon start the next day. I've been pleased with the results, but realize I learn something new with each chimney lit. And I know now with BRITU, less is more when it comes to quantity.
Appreciate your thoughts.

I usually do it no more than 2 hours before i put it on the cooker. I believe this prevents any salt in the rub from adversely affecting the taste of the ribs.

-Don Dukes

I lit the chimney of coal, then apply rub to the ribs. Once the coaland the smoker set, I put the ribs on. Turns out great every time. I have not done like you and applied the rub the night before.

I used to rub overnight but now I do it like Andy, rub just before setting up the WSM.

Works well but maybe I'll try a longer lead time next. Worst case it can't be bad, best case I learned something new (for my own tastes).

James

One more vote for rubbing right out of the fridge and immediately placing in the smoker. Depending what is in the rub, especially if high in salt, rubbing overnight might make the ribs a bit hammy tasting.

What James said.

I use to put the rub on before bed the night before. The last time I did this our plans changed and it wasn't until the next day that I could put them on. Could have been this particular cook but they were pretty dry.
Now I rub them down an hour or 2 before the cook, maximum 4 hours which I have seen as recommended many times.

For me it depends on what rub I am using.

If I am using my brownsugar based rub I apply it the night before, or a minimum of 4 hours prior to placing on the smoker.

If I am using a high salt rub I apply it about 2 hours prior.

No more than 2 hours before cook.

Usually, I rub them, start the charcoal, stabilize temps, put them on. ~ a hour

Yup, right before.

I salt the ribs then go out and light fuel for a Minion start. Then I make the rub. By this time the salt has drawn moisture to the surface and I apply the rub over the salt, the moisture helping it stick well. Then I cart the ribs out, assemble the cooker, load in the ribs.

I do the same with butts.

One more vote for shortly before.

The salt in the rub will tend to draw moisture out of the ribs which is exactly what I DON'T want. In fact, after cleaning up the ribs I will spray them down with my secret blend of 'stuff' so the rub has something to stick to. I then will give the ribs a mist of 'stuff' about every hour or so during the cook process.

They've been turning out really moist lately.

Russ

I usually rub my ribs down at night before bed, then when i'm ready to put them on add a little more rub and cook.

Appreciate all who chimed in on this topic. I went somewhere in the middle, prepped and rubbed the ribs at 0900 for a noon start. Hit them with apple juice and bourbon spray for adhesion, then 3 - 1.5 - 1 on the WSM, with another spritz as they got foiled. Sauced and spritzed as they came out of the foil for finishing.

Results? Clean bones, FOTB tender and a little sweetness, with a nice 'hello, don't forget me here in the background' spice building from the BRITU rub. Smiles all around, but unfortunately, no photo evidence!
Appreciate the help gang, love being part of this community. Webers rock.

I'm a night before guy. I told my wife the salt draining theory and how I should not rub so long. She said, your butts are great - don't change a thing. She was, sadly, talking about my pulled pork.

Back