<LI>mesquite
<LI>oak
<LI>black walnut
<LI>maple
<LI>box elder
<LI>lilac
<LI>pear [/list]
<LI>cherry
(And probably one or two others I have forgotten I have. All except the first two have collected on my lot or locally.)

I made a mini-WSM to try different woods out because I thought doing a batch in my 18" WSM was too much for testing. I usually do a chicken and maybe a couple sausages and use only one smoking wood. I should probably include some beef, pork and fish just to see how a particular wood affects different meats.

I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had a better method for trying stuff out.

best,
walt

your definatly on the right track! Your right different foods affect different meats different ways, also the quantity of wood affects tastes too. I've never really ran trials but I'd do a certain type of wood for two weeks or a month depending on how much you use your WSM and just see what you like, using different quantities as well as different meats!

If I was going to test & compare different Smoke Woods - I would recommend trying to keep everything else equal:

-Use the same charcoal
-Use about the same amount of charcoal
-Smokes of (roughly) the same length
-Or, smokes with the same meat and rub
(Pulled Pork with one wood, then try later with a different wood and note differences.)

-When trying a "new" Smoke Wood, (normally)Err on the side of Caution - use less of it than you would normally use until you develop a comfort level with it. (better to be under-powered in most cases than over-powered, IMHO)

Even the same wood can produce more or less intense flavors, depending on how long the wood has been "seasoned" / how dry it is. Old, dried-out stuff will usually work, but will usually be less intense (as long as it's not starting to rot).

If you check-around here, you'll find people recommending different woods for different types of meat.

I find that:

APPLE = good for just about anything. If you want stronger, mix it with something else!

HICKORY = Pretty strong, can be "hammy". When I use it, I use less and/or blend it with other woods.

PECAN = Like a "milder cousin" of Hickory. I recently made a Brisket with LOTS of a 50/50 mix of Apple & Pecan, and REALLY liked the flavor.

MAPLE = Mild but sweet - good with Poultry & Fish.

Those are the ones that I've tried so far.

Happy Hunting!

Back