How do you transport your WSM without a pickup truck?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
How do you transport your WSM without a pickup truck?

I can’t put mine inside my Ford Explorer because of luggage, cooler, and Weber (big boy Golden Retriever). Also, I’m concerned that the vehicle would end up permanently smelling like a BBQ restaurant…..maybe not all that undesirable on a temporary basis.

Rita

If your Explorer has a 2-inch trailer hitch an option would be a carrier like this.

You'd need a couple of straps to tie it down but I've seen pictures of 2 or 3 fully assembles WSMs on one. I believe the pan, charcoal ring, and grates were packed separately though.

Just had this problem this past weekend. My van was out of order and had to take the girlfriend's Explorer to Cincy. Anyway, this is how I did it.
Took the cooking grates out and put them in a trash bag, same for the water pan, charcoal ring and the charcoal grate.
Disassembled WSm to bottom and top 2 sections. Put newspaper (to dampen vibrations) in bottom section and put the trash bags with grates, pans, etc. in there.
Put newspaper aroun top of center section. Inverted lid and place in center section.
Wrapped each section with 50 gallon trash bag. Put WSM cover in rear and placed the 2 wrapped section on that. Worked great, little rattling.

Hope this helps.

I traveled about 10,000 miles a few years ago using a hitch platform like Joe is talking about with WSMs straped on. Works very vell.
Jim

I am going to the CC60 in Charlotte this weekend and will be transporting my WSM on the rear platform to. I'll post some pics when I can. Gonna take some ribs in the race and make everyone jealous!!!!!

Rita,
Wish I took some pictures but here's what I did to trasport 3 WSM in a mini-van.

dissassembled. placed ring and water pan on floor. put other misc. small items in the pan (extra storage). Inverted the middle section, and placed over top of ring, pan etc. place a rag around the edge of middle section. Inverted the lid and placed inside the middle section. filled the lid w/ other smallish items (i.e. halogen lights, charcoal lighter, etc). covered that part w/ a garbage bag. placed a piece of plywood on top. cooking grates separated w/ some newspaper on the plywood, bottom section inverted on the grates. You can fit a lot of stuff inside the cylinder, lid and bottom section. May need to bungee cord down or something. These little guys cooked at a competition, came home and by monday, there was no smell in the minivan. I actually left it in a better state than when I packed it.

Ah, that platform looks just right, since there will be no spare room inside the Explorer. I believe I've seen a few of those on the backs of RVs. Of course, it's over half the price of a new WSM and it would also be less of a hassle to get a second WSM to live at the other location. Mine is a 1987 model and will be 18 years old in a month or so....decisions, decisions! Sadly, space and the possibility of theft might be an even bigger issue than the cost.

Jay and Joe, I'm surprised and pleased that the smoky smell dissapated over a couple of days. You two are very creative packers! I might be able to get it into the Explorer when Weber is not with us.

Thanks for all the great information!
Rita

This is so weird...I had this problem 2 weeks ago (decided to leave my golden, Dylan, at home though). I went out to home depot and got some big trash bags and wrapped each of the individual sections in them. Then twirled them around and tied off. Then I put another over them, just to be safe. Worked like a charm in the back of my acura. No problems, no smell. Wish I could have taken the golden though.

As a followup, I have been able to transport a WSM, 10x10 EZ-UP, 22-inch kettle, table & chairs, cooler of ribs, etc. in my Escape.

However, it took some careful packing and there was no room for anyone or anything else.

The grates and water bowl ended up in garbage bags and packed in a plastic bin with the other dirty items (knives, cutting boards, etc) on the way home. There really wasn't any smokey smell afterwards.

I have a 1-1/4 receiver on my Honda CRV. I bought the Hitch-Haul from Walmart (special order) and carry my WSM, a 22-1/2 grill and a Smokey Joe. I had to make an aluminum adapter bar for one of the grill legs.

MikeZ

I use the a platform similar to the one shown above. I built a frame out of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe to give some security to the three WSM that I carry on the back to cookoffs, plus all the gear, canopy, family (wife, daughter, and visiting niece) inside a minivan

Purchased a WalMart real bike platform that simply inserts into trailer hitch receiver. Wrapped water pan, and grates with old terry cloth bath towels, along with the weber chimney,inside the smoker. Use about 3 bungee cords to strap from the legs up through the handle. Place the Weber cover over it and I wrapped it with a small tarp. Lay the WSM down on the platform and use as many bungees as you like to secure it in place. Drover from Staunton VA to MT Holly NC (290 miles) and it worked perfectly! If you want to transport your bike, it may not fit. However, it works well, and you can also place coolers and a washh tub on it. Good luck!

Here are some pics of how I did my race trip this weekend. All went well untill I pulled out of a parking lot. Then I heard it spill on the road. Not a lot of damage, but some minor scrapping on the lid and handle. Lesson learned, use 2 tie-down strapps under the handle for equal pressure.CC 600 05

S, the grill itself is a Phonex gas grill shell. It was a leftover my buddy had. The guys at work and I made the rest of it. I had a truck at the time it was made and we measure my waist and where I wanted the grate of the grill and went from there. It was made out of scrap metal and I have about $40 in it. I love it and it is strong and heavy.

Back