How do you mop both grates?

Bill_M

Morning all. I have lurked here for, literally, years. Getting recipes and enjoying the results, so thanks upfront!

I am doing my first double layer smoke with 2 - 5# brisket flats.

Question is, how do I mop the brisket on the lower grate?

Thanks,
Bill

When I need to get to something on the lower grate like that I just pull the top one out, meat and all and set it on my kettle which I always have setup just for that purpose since I don't have an outdoor table.

Use a spray bottle if possible (a 50/50 mix of cider vinegar and apple juice works well) and spray through the top grates and again through open door. If you need to mop, then take Ken's smart advice.

I never mop brisket so not an issue. But if I have to get to the lower I do what Ken does. And I try to be fairly quick about it. I do have a table but prefer to use the kettle (if it isn't in use).

Heh, I just went through this procedure, and I didn't come up with anything as clever as taking the meat out on the grate.

My procedure took a lot of shuffling and effort and took so long that when I finally got done, my internal temp was 310F, and I had all the vents closed already. I added more water and i'm waiting for it to drop down to something reasonable now.

I saved my cardboard inserts from the packing material and just set the top grate on that on the ground on my porch. It isn't sitting there longer than 20 seconds. Just be ready before removing or opening the lid. Less time open less time to recover.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I never mop brisket so not an issue. But if I have to get to the lower I do what Ken does. And I try to be fairly quick about it. I do have a table but prefer to use the kettle (if it isn't in use). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed, no need to mop a brisket or butt. Come to think of it the only thing I mop is Roadside chicken. But when I do need to mop I just lift the top grate off and sit it on whatever is near, and be quick about it, so you don't get a huge temp increase.
icon_wink.gif

A couple of 18" or 22" 2x4s beside your WSM can be a good place to put the top grate (unless you have dogs!). Of course, I already would have the lid there! Rich

One of the things I have been contemplating is lifting the whole middle section off the bottom dome and then placing the lid on the bottom section, so the middle section is totally separate. This will keep the charcoal from lighting quickly and getting too hot from having the lid off, while enabling you to take as much time as you need to mop, flip meats, sauce, etc. in the middle section.

Now of course, I won't do this if I am only doing something quick like some quick sprays or only have meat on the top rack. But there are times where I have stuff on both racks and I use temp probes through the mid section sides, so pulling the top grate off with the probes is a bit tricky and can take time, which causes the coals to light and temps to rise quickly.

Anyway, I am getting temp probe extensions so I can move the entire middle section easily, freely, and quickly. Then put the lid on the bottom section to keep the air out and the coals in check. I don't use water so spillage should not be a concern. Yes the middle section can be heavy at times, but I installed handles on the middle section, so even with 30lbs of meat, it should still be moveable in about 5 seconds or less.

Anyone else try this method? If so, does it or should it work well....at least in theory?
icon_smile.gif

Thanks
Kg

this is what i do.

i have the mop/sauce in a little dish (about 6" diameter) and a brush.

pull off the top grate and rest one side of it on the top rim of the smoker while holding it level with my left hand on the grate's handle using my last three fingers. my thumb and index fingers are holding on to the dish with the sauce. so one hand is balancing the grate AND holding the dish. my right hand i have the brush and i dip in the mop and apply it to the meat on the lower grate.

hmm that was hard to explain. hope you understand what i mean.

Back