How do you clean your probes or don't you?

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
Just curious how other members clean their temperature probes or if you don't. After several uses my Smoke probes are getting smoked up plus a little crud from cooks. This would only be my grate temp probe used with the clip. I've just been wiping the wires with a damp paper towel and the metal tip with fine steel wool to get it back to shine. Thoughts?

I lightly clean off the probe tips scotch bright sponge and then take an alcohol pad over the whole thing. I keep a box of alcohol pads for use on the Thermopen as well. Does a pretty good job for the most part for the wired portion.

Quick wipe with soapy dish sponge, rinse, quick dry with the dish towel. I don't want to clean it too much and lose all that seasoning..... lol

Never cleaned one.

Edit - I was thinking about temp probes for the grills.

For meat probes, I wipe them down with a clean rag when I pull them from the meat. I've been using the Inkbird stuff for over a year now with great results.

Last edited:
Tell the truth, I haven’t pulled the temp probes out in a while. I just set it and forget it now. But when I did use them, I just wiped them off with a damp cloth.

Back