how do I post pics on WSM forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim,

First you have to have the image uploaded to a website somewhere. Then you can link to it.

If you don't have your own website, there are some that host pics for free or low price.

If you don't have a website of your own, you can email me the pics and I will load on my page. I can send you the link and you just post it in the image location on this site.

Howard

Jim,

Warning...shameless plug coming.

As you may or may not know, I work for HP, and we offer a free 100MB photo upload service called HP Photo.

Basically, you create a photo album and upload your pics to the album. Then you select a pic and click the "create link for auction" hyperlink. Choose the "large" image size, then cut/paste the image URL into your bulletin board post. The URL is valid for three months.

You can either paste the link into your post like this, which is probably the preferred method:

http://www.hpphotos.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=305e5048-1646-68e5-5619-6cf426f12eec&size=lg

Or you can click the Instant UBB Code "Image" button and paste the URL into the pop-up box, which causes the image to appear in the page, like this:

LinkPhoto

Regards,
Chris

An additional suggestion: Whatever method you come up with, both the dimensions and the file size (in Kbytes) need to be considered. Images larger than the average browser window make for difficult viewing. Large file sizes really bog down those viewers with dial-up connections. The format typically preferred would be JPEG, no larger than 600x400, with file sizes under 64KB each. As Chris noted, providing a link-- rather than putting the image "inline"-- lets readers decide for themselves to view a particular image or not.

Good points, Doug.

I recognize that not everyone is up to speed on how to resize images or how to optimize them so they take up less space, so if you're one of those people, I highly recommend that you simply paste the photo's URL into your post so people can click at their own discretion.

If you accidentally post an inline photo that shows up really big after you post, please click the "pencil & paper" icon above your post and delete the reference to the photo (the {img}{/img} tags and the URL in between), then paste the photo's URL into the post instead.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris, is there a size restriction in terms of kb? I've posted pictures for online contests many times and they require all submissions to be under 100k and 800x600. Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back