How do I Handle This?

Yah, I wouldn't be too worried unless you used it inside the cook box. I would think one good 30-60 minute burn in on high heat would take care of any fumes. Just don't cook anything during that time and don't stand next to the grill.

Maybe will pick some up in the future to have around, for the next time....Thanks....George
Like I said what I'm doing should last me well past my excitement for grilling:)

Hi
Getting ready to prime and paint tomorrow. i have a question....I was going to paint the box while it is Upside down on my Workmate...Is that better or is it better to have the box sitting normally.
Also I was going to paint the 2 silver aluminum rails that the grease pan slides into-is that OK? I did not want to remove them fearing the screws may break off. Thanks....George

Hey George, whatever works for you I guess...I don't think it matters how the box is set up (for me anyways).

I usually paint the rails, especially if I cannot get them off as I don't think that painting them will do any harm.

No problem painting the rails. I tape off the inside of the box and the hole in the bottom prior to painting (paint on the inside of the fire box is not a good thing). Then I set it upside down on a 5 gallon pail so that I can paint the edges as well and it just makes painting easier.

George, I tape off the entire inside of the cook box to include the bottom square hole. I just don't want any paint on the inside, but a little over spray isn't going to hurt anything if you choose to not tape it off. I have a roll of butcher paper that use to line the inside with so it is convenient for me.

I just flip them upside down and put them on top of an overturned five gallon pail. Then find a box and stick the end cap screws mostly in so I can paint the ends of them, and that's that.

Slainte!

Tim

You don't think they worry about over spray from the factory do you? Just flip it over at a nice height and spray it. End of story. If a little spray gets inside it will go away the first time you do a burn off. Seems there is too much over thinking and over working to do a simple task :D

Yah, probably right Larry. I have just always taped off the inside of the box after I purposely painted the inside of a Q100 lid and was told I did a big No-No. Plus, when I used to grind them out to a nice shiny finish, I didn't want some black paint taking away from it. I have noticed that there is "over spray" on most weber grills from the factory. I don't know if the different paint makes it OK for them to have some over spray but I agree that a little inside the cook box isn't a big deal.

The painting has commenced. Only had one bucket and it didn't work, so I used a couple 1X3 for support and will work from there.(Supposed to be a non humid day-where are these clouds coming from???) Here's some pics....
2nd coat of primer drying and first coat pf high heat black drying......
OQCpuu6.jpg

veI00JN.jpg

You really don't need "primer" if you are using the name brand high heat paints. As long as the primer is "high heat" it wont hurt however.

Yes, it is a high heat primer. Now my big decision(while waiting to put on second coat) is whether to put that flat cross support(it is in first few photos of this thread) As of right now I have sprayed inside the tubing with Fluid Film, and have put 2 layers of aluminum tape across the hole, so hole is covered(picture)..Now will it extend the life of the grill by putting in that cross support. There didn't seem to be a fit issue when I tried before the painting????George

covered hole with aluminum tape and sprayed
OcD5UPF.jpg

If it was me, I would probably just put the box in as it is. The flat cross support might just cause more problems than it solves and I think it will last as is many many years.

Thanks Bruce, I agree. I would have to drill 3 holes into the frame which again are potential areas of water seepage into the tubing...I do plan to keep it meticulously covered, and it definitely would create a tighter space, and who knows the repercussions in the long run....
PS maybe one more layer of tape.........
George

Hi
With overspray etc.I figure I sprayed on 2+ coats of paint on the box...is that normal or do you guys put more? Including picture, but shadows may affect the angle....
CaMmAJw.jpg

Two is probably fine, but I usually go with 3-4. The top part that extends above the frame is the important part however. An extra coat or two there would be a good idea IMO.

Thanks...Will have to wait till tomorrow, because they say recoat before 4 hours or after 7 hours...will spray what I have left in the can...

Yah, don't cheat on that. If you try to paint after a few hours, it will ruin the undercoat and you will have a mess.

I tried spraying again because I was just on the edge of the 4 hour limit...they say actually before 4 hours or After 7 days.....If it comes out crappy can always sand and spray after it is put together.....
There are always places that don't look perfectly even, because some places on the box had paint that had peeled off, so the painting is a bit uneven...of well...

Back