How do I fix this?

Jen Davis

Hi there! I picked this up for free. How do I fix it? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2994.jpeg
    IMG_2994.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2997.jpeg
    IMG_2997.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2996.jpeg
    IMG_2996.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2995.jpeg
    IMG_2995.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 71
I wonder if electrical metal tubing (emt) could replace those legs?
Check out Home Depot to see if the size is right.
It’s easy enough to cut and you could use a regular vice to crimp the ends of the tubes at the wheels.

If you don’t have the time or skills I’d follow Timothy’s advice.

The Master Touch has great features like longer legs, lid bail & gourmet grate. This one looks pretty rough mostly because of bottom bowl. In the short term, I would deep clean with razor blade/steel wool, straighten out bent parts, soak rusted stuff like grates in baking soda/vinegar, and use it. A Chimney Starter is very useful accessory to get.

The porcelain on the bottom bowl looks cracked and compromised especially at leg sockets. It will eventually rust unless you treat exposed metal with grease or paint.

For the long term, I would harvest the good parts like thermometer/bezel, lid bail, long legs/triangle wire base, wheel, master touch handles and watch for a better donor bowl to combine with all these parts to make one really good grill. Then I would take the extra time to polish things up like the ash catcher & legs and replace ash sweep. I think then you could make it look like an almost new $300 Master Touch.

Last edited:
The Master Touch has great features like longer legs, lid bail & gourmet grate. This one looks pretty rough mostly because of bottom bowl. In the short term, I would deep clean with razor blade/steel wool, straighten out bent parts, soak rusted stuff like grates in baking soda/vinegar, and use it. A Chimney Starter is very useful accessory to get.

The porcelain on the bottom bowl looks cracked and compromised especially at leg sockets. It will eventually rust unless you treat exposed metal with grease or paint.

For the long term, I would harvest the good parts like thermometer/bezel, lid bail, long legs/triangle wire base, wheel, mastertouch handles and watch for a better donor bowl to combine with all these parts to make one really good grill. Then I would take the extra time to polish things up like the ash catcher & legs and replace ash sweep. I think you could then make it look like a new $300 Master Touch.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. Any recommendations on how to get it level?
You could try putting a piece of PVC pipe through the bent legs to help straighten them. I think I used 3/4" pipe or so.
it doesn’t look like the legs are bent. Maybe the sockets are? Just learning about the world of Weber with limited skills. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sputnik has crash landed. Looks like the leg sockets are trashed, maybe think of mounting it in a table of some sort.
I don’t have those skills. Can I hammer the bowl to move the sockets? Newbie here.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Any recommendations on how to get it level?

it doesn’t look like the legs are bent. Maybe the sockets are? Just learning about the world of Weber with limited skills. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don’t have those skills. Can I hammer the bowl to move the sockets? Newbie here.
To level grill… just some gravel, sand, rocks, or similar will do. I also use bricks. Just make sure the cooking grate is roughly level.

I use a Level (the kind with air bubble) to check grill grate in a couple directions because I got tired of hot dogs rolling away. It’s more important to be level if you use griddle plates with cooking oil. I only needed the level once or twice, since I don't move my grills around much.

I have a weird slope on my yard so I put my grills on bricks, each leveled on top of gravel, sand, etc. The bricks create a small platform of space in case the grill moves a bit and also raises grill little so less bending since I'm tall.

Level on Bricks.jpg

Last edited:
To level grill… just some gravel, sand, rocks, or similar will do. I also use bricks. Just make sure the cooking grate is roughly level.

I use a Level (the kind with air bubble) to check grill grate in a couple directions because I got tired of hot dogs rolling away. It’s more important to be level if you use griddle plates with cooking oil. I only needed the level once or twice, since I don't move my grills around much.

I have a weird slope on my yard so I put my grills on bricks, each leveled on top of gravel, sand, etc. The bricks create a small platform of space in case the grill moves a bit and also raises grill little so less bending since I'm tall.

View attachment 91779
Thanks! I think I’ll do that. It’s weird because it doesn’t look like (to me, anyway) the socket or legs are bent. Thanks for your thoughtful advice. I appreciate it.

You could try grabbing one leg at a time and see if you can bend it back into shape. Try it on one and make sure you don't bend the leg.
If that don't work remove all three legs by pushing in that little clip. Mark with a sharpie or painters tape each location so you can put it back in the right sequence.
Use a length of pipe or a broom handle to try to bend each leg socket back into place, Hitting them with a hammer might pop the spot welds but a dead blow or rubber mallet might help.

You could try grabbing one leg at a time and see if you can bend it back into shape. Try it on one and make sure you don't bend the leg.
If that don't work remove all three legs by pushing in that little clip. Mark with a sharpie or painters tape each location so you can put it back in the right sequence.
Use a length of pipe or a broom handle to try to bend each leg socket back into place, Hitting them with a hammer might pop the spot welds but a dead blow or rubber mallet might help.
Thank you! Very helpful!

Thank you! Very helpful!
Take a few pics when or if you remove the legs. That will give us a better look at the leg sockets.
great. I will.

Back