How do I check for rust on S670

Don D.

TVWBB Fan
Hi,
I have an 11 year old S670. Really never had any issues with it but now it needs some new burners and Flavorizer bars. How do I check for the cookbox for rust ???

Thanks !!

Just look at the front where the burners peek through and also where the grates rest. If it is there it will be obvious. Also of course the cabinet

Thanks
I know the bottom of the cabinet where the tank sits is rusting, as well as the piece that has a U in front/top of each burner. How do I get a good view of where the burners peek through??

I pulled off the front panel and bent back the heat shield a little , here are the pics.

I don't think it looks too bad. The heat shield is rusting but I believe that piece is easily replaceable.

What do the Experts feel ???

Attachments

• 20200828_142045.jpg
    20200828_142045.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200828_142041.jpg
    20200828_142041.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200828_142037.jpg
    20200828_142037.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200828_142025.jpg
    20200828_142025.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200828_142011.jpg
    20200828_142011.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200828_142007.jpg
    20200828_142007.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200828_141526.jpg
    20200828_141526.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200828_141443.jpg
    20200828_141443.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 23
I kind of forget. I bought it on closeout as the 2nd generation was out, and I honestly don't recall when the 2nd gen came out. I want to say 2006 or 7? It was well within warranty though and Weber did not support it because they had quit building replacement parts. I think when I got mine it was the year after the the 2nd gen came out. It was not even 10 years old as I recall

Nothing that I know of that can be used to stop it. some times you have to shoot them and put out of your misery . They make some stuff that supposedly changes the rust to something else but I think the heat would change that and maybe some ugly fumes

Looking at those photos I would have to say you're wrong. When you see the areas around the burner tubes looking that it will go from that to wide open in nothing flat and then you will have flames behind the control panel. Speaking from experience here. If I have not thrown it away I will post the photos of mine after I took it out. And it went from looking like yours to holes rotted away in one season. I forgot who but someone on the group here scrapped out one like mine. The front panel was good and (at least looked that way) but is now just about toast as well. So the grill sits unused the last 3 years or so.

Then it's really ridiculous that Weber doesn't warranty it !! The cookbox is the main part of the grill. How can they get away with that ???

Not sure who you're asking. If me, their excuse was they did not make parts for it anymore. Their attitude? Too bad so sad. Their solution? A phony discount to buy a new Genesis II style grill. The gottchas? I had to buy it from Weber directly not from a store. Bottom line it would have cost even more than simply walking into a Home Depot or what have you. Some discount. It's why I will never buy a new Weber product ever again because their warranty to me was worth not more than what I hang in the bathroom.
Don't want to go into it more than this. Some have accused me of beating the dead horse. So you know the story. I still like the products I just will never again be suckered into paying a king's ransom for a new one

Looking at those photos I would have to say you're wrong. When you see the areas around the burner tubes looking that it will go from that to wide open in nothing flat and then you will have flames behind the control panel. Speaking from experience here. If I have not thrown it away I will post the photos of mine after I took it out. And it went from looking like yours to holes rotted away in one season. I forgot who but someone on the group here scrapped out one like mine. The front panel was good and (at least looked that way) but is now just about toast as well. So the grill sits unused the last 3 years or so.
Hi
If you can forward me the pics , I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

So last Sunday I has emailed Weber with some pics of the rust by the burners, they said they needed closer pictures. I had ordered a new sear tube and Flavorizer bracket set as they were all rusted through.
Fedex said delivery was for Sunday. So yesterday I took off the manifold, cleaned it up and sent close up pics to Weber. About an hour later I get an email that my cookbox is under warranty and they're asking me it a new one !!! And Fedex never did show up....

The replacement cookbox just arrived.. I can't believe it came so quick. They said it was backordered ?? Is there anyway to pretreat the panels so that they don't rust again ??? Wouldn't they gave changed the materials to avoid further claims and issues when they realized their initial mistake ???
Hi hard is it to install ?? Thanks

Nope they've been foisting off that poor build process for 2 decades and people are still buying them at extraordinary prices. So in their (Weber) eyes why should they? Fool the public as long as you can is the motto

Larry, I hear you, but it begs the question, why don't they spend an extra $50 and put in a piece of Stainless steel on the front of the cook box that will last longer than ten years.

Back