How do I check for rust on S670

The replacement cookbox just arrived.. I can't believe it came so quick. They said it was backordered ?? Is there anyway to pretreat the panels so that they don't rust again ??? Wouldn't they gave changed the materials to avoid further claims and issues when they realized their initial mistake ???
Hi hard is it to install ?? Thanks
Hi Don, Installing the firebox on a Summit is difficult relative to the other Weber products. Just take your time and take pictures as you go for reference later. Save all the old hardware until you are reassembled and working.

The firebox is porcelain enamel covered steel. Scratches and dents can cause failure.

Just try to keep the grill clean and you should be OK.

Honestly Bruce I don't know. For one thing making it out of stainless IMO would actually be cheaper. One, less warranty issues, two, no needing to apply porcelain. All it would take is a simple stamping (which they already do). I will never understand why companies make things the way they do

Hi Don, Installing the firebox on a Summit is difficult relative to the other Weber products. Just take your time and take pictures as you go for reference later. Save all the old hardware until you are reassembled and working.

The firebox is porcelain enamel covered steel. Scratches and dents can cause failure.

Just try to keep the grill clean and you should be OK.
Thanks for your suggestions.. I'm actually better at ripping things apart than I am at putting them back together, I guess that's why I'm the Captain on my Squad's Extrication Team. Gimme a Jaws of Life and I'll give you a Roof and 4 Doors in about 15 minutes !!

I'm going to go really slow and take the pics as you recommended. Thanks again.

As far as the warranty, not sure why they don't just put a piece of stainless to prevent further warranty claims, doesn't make sense. Mine is 11 years old and I got the part for free, I'm sure many others have been getting them as well

Attachments

• 20200913_155653.jpg
    20200913_155653.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 13
Was going through some parts / hardware kits I might need for the new cookbox and noticed some rust on the edges of the hood. I called Weber today and sent one pic ,they're sending out a NEW Hood !!!!! I tried to get burner tubes but they said totally out of warranty. I got a discount $52 for Six tubes , smoker tube and Sear tube !! I love this company

Back